Saxophone Forum

by Regosnot
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Selmer Reference 54 or Selmer Series II

I have recently tried several Tenor Saxophones at the local Selmer dealer and I am unsure on which model to choose. I am looking for a sax for finishing High School and to go on to University. I tried serveral models and quickly realized I didn't care for the Series III model. I am unsure which or the other models the (the Reference 54 and the Series II) I would like and I am wondering if anyone has a second opinion.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer Reference 54 or Selmer Series II

I like the Ref 54 a lot. I played both the alto and the tenor. My alto and tenor are Mark VI's that I bought new. The Ref 54 is taking it to the next level. The key action on the Ref 54 is second to none. Best of luck to you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by EL Seano
      (255 posts)

19 years ago

I've tried the REF 54, which plays alot like my Guardala.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

are you sure selmer is the right choice? Why not try some other brands, who knows what would happen. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I just think it's stupid to be caught up on buying "this" "one" horn and be blind to everything else on the market.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Try a Yamaha YTS 62 or 82Z, a Keilwerth SX-90, and a Cannonball Big Bell tenor and then let us know if you still want the Selmer! The Yamaha 62 is the best value going right now.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by llehctiMnairB
      (18 posts)

19 years ago

I have the series III and i think its better for jazz than for classical. I also like the series II. They are almost the same horn. Ref 54 is a great choice.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Regosnot
        (2 posts)

19 years ago

I tried the Series III but I didn't like it as much as the Series II and 54 but it still is a good horn.

Reply To Post