Saxophone Forum

by bibbage
(22 posts)
19 years ago

Do you oil your sax

Hi. Just wondering do you oil the moving parts on your sax, I've just spent a couple of hours sticking the cork pads back on to mine, I think they may have come loose because I oiled all the moving parts. Also where can I get various thickness sheet cork for this purpose, I'm in the UK. Thanks Bibbage

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by gardenshed
    (20 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Do you oil your sax

Never mind oiling it, how are you supposed to get the fluff out of that paroxism of rods and levers? I heard somewhere of people putting it IN THE BATH! Can this be true? By the way. A slip of BluTak covered with a Sliver of blue Rizla makes a great little emergency octave pad. In case.

Reply To Post

2. by knorter
    (205 posts)

19 years ago

Most repairmen that I have discussed this with have suggested a (small) drop of oil on each screw and a drop where the rods meet the posts. I've also seen them drag a piece of oil across the springs--I have the blue steel ones so I don't know if that is advisable with other types. How did the oil get to the corks?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by bibbage
      (22 posts)

19 years ago

I'm not sure that the oil had anything to do with the corks moving, but I may have overdone it a little! It's a cheap Sax though so I don't expect too much from it, but it plays better now, although I'm not very good only been having lessons since March this year. Thanks for the reply

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Hi Bibbage, I play and collect old Conn saxophones, and I have done a few repairs myself. Some of these old Conns with the set screws can really be a challange to take apart; the set screws can corrode and sometimes the only way to remove them is to drill them out....carefully! Oil definately helps prevent this from happening, and keeps the action free. I oil my saxophone like Kristy mentioned; oiling all of the pivot points, screws and rods. I would be careful not to get much oil on the corks though. Playing over a period of time can loosen the corks and the oil will just help them to fall off. I had a Selmer Series III soprano, and half the corks on it fell off and had to be glued back on in less than a year!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Markflute
      (1 post)

19 years ago

Hi! You can find sheet cork at the www.windcraft.co.uk in the UK!

Reply To Post

1. by bibbage
        (22 posts)

19 years ago

Hi Mark Good site, thanks for that.

Reply To Post

3. by wilson
      (9 posts)

19 years ago

If it needs it.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by saxophones_rock
      (13 posts)

19 years ago

I frequently apply glove oil to the moving parts of my sax, but it never disturbed the cork pads.(???)

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

I "used" (before I lost the thing) one of those needle oilers. It worked great, got oil where it needs to go, and didn't make a mess. It also got lost sometime 5-7 years ago. Anyway, a few things to remeber, and I'll use a bike chain for an example. -oil only needs to go where there are moving parts! you don't "need" oil all over the place for it to do its job. -the best IMO oil to use is Tranmission fluid... think about this. That stuff keeps working when it's hot, cold, and dosn't need to be changed as much as engine oil. ok I'm done!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM