Saxophone Forum

by k7michal
(34 posts)
19 years ago

Sax to Clarinet.

some times I have a desire to play with acustic guitar and just softly in general. I'm thinking I really want a clarinet to do the job. right now I have a Keilwerth SX-90 tenor with metal otto link 8* mpc. would a selmer C* make it significantly quieter? I thought of maybe buying a xaphoon just to tame the craving.. anybody know of a reasonable clarinet for $500 or so?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Sax to Clarinet.

The cheaper Buffet clarinets are very good. Any Buffet clarinet is good! I play a mid-1960's vinatage R-13. LeBlanc and Noblet clarinets are also very good.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by k7michal
      (34 posts)

19 years ago

thank you for the recommendation.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

19 years ago

good luck I told my private instructor at one time or another, he plays flute, clarinet, and sax, that i wanted to learn how to play clarinet. He said that it would be a big change, and that i would have to forget almost everything i learned on sax. So if you don't want to play the sax again, you should try clarinet.

Reply To Post

1. by k7michal
          (34 posts)

19 years ago

that sounds inviting.... I'm sure there's got to be a way around this. Is there a sax set up for tenor that is quiet enough to play with acustic guitar when camping???

Reply To Post

2. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

I don't know BUT i do know, no matter what, that it will be hard to learn clarinet. I'm not trying to turn you off from playing it, but i know it'll be difficult.

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Camping with a tenor

If you want a very subdued tenor sound, I recommend a small tip opening, large chambered concave sidewall mouthpiece like an old Woodwind New York '36 model B5. With a stiff reed, you can get a nice thick sound that won't over project - even if you blow really hard. This is just one example of a mpc with a very low baffle, concave sidewalls, small tip opening, huge chamber. On the much more expensive side, you could look for a vintage hard rubber slant sig Link in a facing like a 4 or 5. (I happen to have one for $395) Similar design to what I describe above. Modern HR Tone Edge pieces might give a similar effect in a closed facing - a 4 facing with a really stiff reed might get you there. Depending on the horn, an S80 with a C* facing could work with a really stiff reed - like a 4 strength Vandoren Trad. or a Hard Fibracell.

Reply To Post