Saxophone Forum

by SaxAppeal
(67 posts)
19 years ago

Reeds?

How do you guys like Alexander Superial Classique Reeds over Traditional Vandoren Reeds. I want a better reed then vandoren because i hear you don't only have 2-3 good reeds anymore the whole box is good with Alexander Superial, and i heard vandoren reeds are harder on the left. Any comments?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Reeds?

I think that you might have heard that from me, as I have said it here a few times. There never has been more than three good ones in a box. A good Vandoren traditional is still as good as it gets. I am also am very high on La Voz reeds. The harder on the left stuff is just an old wives tale. That sounds like a lopsided reed to me. That is why you need to hand pick them. If you want, I can tell you how I pick reeds. I have never blown through an Alexander. Best of luck to you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by SaxAppeal
      (67 posts)

19 years ago

How do you go about picking your reeds? Thanks for your help.

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

19 years ago

Ok. for some reason the dark reeds seem to be the best. This is not ALWAYS true. Check the butt end of reed, and make sure the side height of the curve is equal. Look at the reed from the tip end. Make sure the curve looks even from the start of the shaving to the tip. Look at the sides of the reed, and make sure the slope on the sides are equal. Best of luck to you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

For Alto, I find that the Classique responds much better than any Vandoren BlueBox I've tried. The colour is very similar, but more rich and vibrant. BBs on alto have just been plain stuffy to me, which isn't a great way to achieve tonal "darkness". The same pretty much goes for Vandoren BBs on Tenor as well. On Tenor, I prefer Hemke reeds for concert. The Classiques have issues on my mp of choice, being that the facing is quite long and the Classiques are too thick near the vamp to accomodate this (thus they leak near the table) On clarinet, the BB Vandorens are once again, stuffy and nonresponsive. The V12s are much better for me. Personally I just don't like the BB reeds as a mainly classical player. There are just a lot of other, better reeds. Some made by Vandoren themselves.

Reply To Post

2. by Roccosm
        (113 posts)

18 years ago

I have always had great sucess with the rico royal 21/2 but I just bought a "Fibercell" reed of of woodwindbrasswind to see how it woeked, and let me tell You it play's great without giving up any sound quality, just try one and see they are 9.99 for alto. s

Reply To Post