Saxophone Forum

by saxman1990
(25 posts)
19 years ago

Soprano saxophone poll

Hello, everybody. Which neck do you use the most on your soprano saxophone a straight neck or a bent neck and why? Thanks for your response

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Soprano saxophone poll

I use a straight neck. I really don't notice much difference in sound or intonation between the 2, but with the curved neck, the horn is angled down more toward my feet and closer to my body. With my long arms, the straight neck puts the horn at a more comfortable angle for me. The first soprano I played was an old Conn New Wonder Series II straight soprano, and I suppose I just got used to holding the horn a certain way. Plus, I also play clarinet. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

19 years ago

I typically use the curved one, only because the straight one doesn't want to go in that easily. Any suggestions of how I would fix that?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Take a piece of fine sand paper and wrap it around the area that fits into the tenon on the body of the sax. Turn the neck around a couple times in the sand paper and then apply a little cork grease to the neck and it should slide right in. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Tully
          (49 posts)

19 years ago

I find the curved neck more comfortable to play for a long time.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

thanks I actually do prefer the straight one, when it goes in, of course, but it's cork is thin, and doesn't tune right, so I'll have to get it fixed by my private instructor.

Reply To Post

3. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

thanks I actually do prefer the straight one, when it goes in, of course, but it's cork is thin, and doesn't tune right, so I'll have to get it fixed by my private instructor.

Reply To Post

4. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

hate when that happens

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
        (397 posts)

19 years ago

even though i started on clarinet the curved is more comfortable to me. don't know why it just is. didn't notice any differnce in sound just comfort.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

19 years ago

If I've got plenty of room, like standing in front playing a solo without a music stand, I'd use the straight neck, as it it would project well toward the audience. If I'm crammed into a small space with the rest of the band and music stands all around, I'd used the curved neck, as I wouldn't take up as much room.

Reply To Post