Saxophone Forum

by mcox
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Where to find a deal on a Bari?

I'm trying to find a good deal on a Bari. I just want one to play for less then $200. I've been watch ebay for a while, but everything usually closes over $300. Do you have any other tips? Any help is greatly appretiated. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Where to find a deal on a Bari?

Baritones that "play" most often go for at least $500 on ebay. Things cheaper than that will be in horrid shape and/or will be missing keys or a neck. No one could tell you where to find what you are looking for because baritones don't sell for that little in an established marketplace. You would have to scour pawnshops, fleamarkets, estate sales, and public auctions, and the possibility of a baritone even showing up in one of those places is remote. The most likely scenario is a school getting rid of an old instrument, and in that case it may not be playable. The only thing you could do is basically look and wait. If I knew where to get a playable baritone for $200, I'd purchase it myself.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Where to find a deal on a Bari?

Just about any playable bari will end up costing no less than $800 assuming cosmetics are of no concern to you. Plan on spending at least $1200-$1800 for a decent horn in good repair and playing condition. But who knows - the sax market can go soft from week to week. Keep your eyes peeled, but expect a HUGE repair bill on that $250 eBay special.

Reply To Post