Saxophone Forum

by RoYrOy
(51 posts)
19 years ago

Why Sax? Filosophy of sax

I don't know how you people think but I want your opinions!! First of all why the sax, and what do you think of it. You know, I really believe it to be one of the hardest instruments to play the right way. Sometimes I get into the groove, sometimes I feel like I'm battling a monster. Just in case i'm only beginning, I've been playing the sax for 2 years now. But I' ve been in music since I was small Anyways what about everyone else? What's your opinion? When you started how did you feel?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax_Shark
    (134 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Why Sax? Filosophy of sax

(So I'm told by several different people) The first music I ever heard was of saxophone. My mother played a tape in the delivery room that was of Kenny G. I think. So I've wanted to play sax all of my life. It was the first instrument I played and haven't been as passionate about any other instruments I've tried in the past. I think that reason is because of the soul that you have to put into the sax. I understand what you mean about battling a monster but stick with it. You have to give it a lot but the sax will give you so much in return.

Reply To Post

2. by saxophones_rock
    (13 posts)

19 years ago

I play lots of instruments including saxophone, piano, clarinet, and drums. (with a little smidge of trumpet.) My philosophy of the sax in placement between all of these instruments would be that it is the easiest to play save the piano. When I started playing sax, I was able to get a good tone quality fast. That may just be because I have a knack for woodwinds, though. The saxophone is definently one of the easiest woodwinds, though. Well, there is my 2 cents.

Reply To Post

1. by spifster
      (67 posts)

19 years ago

In my opinion, the saxophone is one of the most expressive instruments there is. I also play other instruments, most coming before saxophone, and, for me at least, the sax gives me more control of sound, pitch, and to me has the most lyrical sound of any wind instrument. Almost anything sung can be played on a sax with a comparable sound. My teacher talked to me for almost half and hour just about copying vocalists on the saxophone, and it sounds amazing. I don't think you can get that on any other instrument. But i'm kind of impartial.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

19 years ago

the sax DOES have the closest sound to the human voice

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

Kenny G in the delivery room...man, NOW I feel old! The two biggest name saxophonists when I was born were probably Wayne Shorter and Stan Getz! LOL

Reply To Post

2. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

I love Shorter and Getz, and Im not gonna say nothing bout dear ol' Kenny because ive sworn NEVER to talk about him again. I can remember when i first wanted to play sax. I heard Stan Getz play Shine (a Louis Armstrong classic) at 300 beats a minute. I nearly flew out of my f***ing chair, it was so damn awesome. Then i got into all the other cats, Trane, Shorter, Miles, etc. And its been great since then.

Reply To Post

2. by saximous86
        (17 posts)

19 years ago

I always heard great music when I was growing up. I heard classical, lots of movie soundtracks, rock, pop, salsa, merengue(im puerto rican) and other great music. It wasnt until 4rth grade when my mom gave me a saxophone to play. In a way the instrument picked me ;). Since then ive loved it above all other instruments. I also play jazz piano which is fun to play my sax along with when i use the suspend pedal on a chord. However, the classical compositions out there for the sax are everything you could ask for in a piece. The saxophone has great music for it unlike any other instrument besides the piano. Plus, the ladies love it.

Reply To Post

1. by RoYrOy
          (51 posts)

19 years ago

Hey man I'm Puerto Rican too! Are you living here? It would be cool to keep in touch to talk about music and just jam, if you're into it I can invite you to one of my gigs and you could play with my band man! And for the rest of you guys, I reeeeaaaally have to ask you this question, I've heard Getz, but I haven't heard Getz you know what I mean? What's the most sizzling CD he has? I really want to hear his greatest works.

Reply To Post

1. by saximous86
            (17 posts)

19 years ago

I live in Delaware, though soon im gonna live in Pennsylvania cus i go back to college in a week. So if ur close by I could play with ur band if time permits. If not we could just talk about musik my man.

Reply To Post