Saxophone Forum

by whatz
(3 posts)
19 years ago

Need help buying Sax for newbie in Band

My son is a 6th grader and wants to play Sax in the band. I'm of course totally ignorant and am trying to get educated. So far I'm considering a Selmer AS300 and/or Yamana YAS-23. The band director prefers Selmer or Yamaha. Am I looking at good models for a beginner? Any suggestions/guidance? Thanks in advance for any input.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Need help buying Sax for newbie in Band

I own a YAS-23 (being lent out to nephew currently) and will say it would be a fine beginner's intrument. It's keywork is very good for a student-level horn, it's build seemed sturdy enough, and it's sound was acceptable. It's main drawback is that it costs quite a bit for a student saxophone.

Reply To Post

2. by p-apple
    (49 posts)

19 years ago

I have a YAS-23 for the last 5 years and it's a fine beginner saxophone. I believe the AS300 is also called a Bundy and doesn't have a really great reputation. YAS-23 is probably the most popular beginning sax according to WWBW (this might be outdate) 75% or so of the people in my band have a YAS-23 as their beginner's saxophone. You can't go wrong with a good condition YAS-23. Hope that helps.

Reply To Post

1. by whatz
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

one more question... I'm looking at used Sax's. One thing I know to look for is the pads/rods/good seals/easy working keays. How important/unimportant are slight dents?

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonik
        (73 posts)

19 years ago

I played a YAS-23 right into college. They're very good horns for people to start on... they're very free-blowing, easy to maintain, and built like tanks. I would pick a YAS-23 over any Bundy any day. As far as the dents, if they're just small dings in an open section (i.e.- not near any keys or rods) it shouldn't make much of a difference. If there are any dents near rods or keys, that's different. Dents can absolutely affect a sax's playability. A bent post or dented key can and most likely will affect the way a key sits, creating leaks and / or intonation problems. If you have a relatively large dent on the bow (the lowest section of an upright saxophone) that may also affect the horn's over-all intonation. Also, look for solder marks. This is a sign the horn has been repaired. Look extra closely to any parts that the repair pertains to and make sure those parts are working properly.

Reply To Post

1. by whatz
          (3 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you everyone for your generous help!!!

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Yamaha would definately be your best value in a new sax.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

I wouldn't discount the bundy, they were the YASes of the 70s and 80s. They're very well constructed, though the keywork and action are sprung rather tightly and are generally inferior to that of the newer Yamahas and Vitos. Tonally, they are a bit different from the modern Yamahas, being darker and not as resonant or free-blowing, but also acceptable. The Nice thing about the Bundys is that school systems across the continent seem to have been shedding them like clothing on fire the last decade or so in favor of the Yamahas. Therefore, you can find them readily and cheaply. They can be fine beginner instruments for a fraction of what you can get a new or used YAS for.

Reply To Post

4. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

19 years ago

I would definately reccomend a Bundy II. Rather cheap for such a great student model horn. I know some professional musicians that learnt all through high school, college and later on Bundy II's. Great student horn for a tiny price.

Reply To Post