Saxophone Forum

by Bone_fanatic
(1 post)
19 years ago

T-bone Player Needs Help

I am a trombone player and I need some sax help! I have two saxophone students in my band who get horrible tone and constiently play under the pitch. I have tried everything I know to try. Any suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by vipegrad
    (47 posts)

19 years ago

Re: T-bone Player Needs Help

There are a few different things that may be problems. I would start with their embouchure. Make sure they have a tight enough embouchure, because it sounds like they may be to loose. Being tighter, their pitch will raise. It may also help their tone problems. Another great things for sax players is a breathing tube. Most people are not familiar with this but it is relatively simple. Role a piece of paper into a tube the short way so that the diameter is 1.5-2 inches. Place it in your mouth and inhale with the diaphram. Be sure not to breath with your shoulders, they should not move. Doing this opens up tone but also causes great volume if you arent careful. If neither of these help solve the problem, check what reed strength they are using, if it is to strong the tone will be aweful and it may comtribute to poor picth. I hope this helps.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

19 years ago

Re: T-bone Player Needs Help

Tell them to push the mouthpiece further onto the neck.

Reply To Post