Saxophone Forum

by saxman1990
(25 posts)
19 years ago

Metal mouthpieces

Are tenor saxophone metal mouthpieces harder to play? I am considering getting one but I don't know if it would be too hard. Any coments would be helpful thank you.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Bariboy
    (18 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Metal mouthpieces

this really depends on the player. before u buy it, i would suggest that u try it out. some people just dont have the mouth for it. once u find one u like, try different facings. it's not really harder play if u have the right one. hope this helps.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The facing, or tip opening is what really makes the difference. What kind of sax do you play? What kind of sound are you looking for? What is your current level of playing, and what mouthpiece are you using now? I can probably make a few suggestions.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxman1990
        (25 posts)

19 years ago

The sax I play is a buescher bu-5 and I play on the mouthpiece that came with it I dont know what mouthpiece it is it does not say. The sound I am looking for is something that sounds sharp but mello. I don't know if you know what I mean but I am looking into a otto link 7* metal mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

2. by saxman1990
        (25 posts)

19 years ago

The sax I play is a buescher bu-5 and I play on the mouthpiece that came with it I dont know what mouthpiece it is it does not say. The sound I am looking for is something that sounds sharp but mello. I don't know if you know what I mean but I am looking into a otto link 7* metal mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

19 years ago

Don't go higher than 7. After that they get real tinny sounding. Try the Otto Link New York 7 with a La Voz medium reed. Stay away from Rico reeds !!!! Don't try to blow the doors off of it, and just comcentrate on your tone. You will do just fine.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

19 years ago

concentrate* sorry for the typo

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ