Saxophone Forum

by hgiles
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Best Bang for the buck (Tenor)

I am not a professional or an aspiring professional, but I want a really nice tenor that I can have just in case I want to pick it up again. I have had some vintage horns (Buescher, Mark VI, etc) when I played in college, but I think I may prefer a modern horns (easier to play, but character of tone is lacking) at this point. Given my situation, which brand do you think offers the best bang for the buck? Incidentally, preliminary research suggests Cannonball, Yamaha 62II, Yanagisawa 991 might be among the front runners...especially if I can find a used one!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by phathorn
    (165 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Best Bang for the buck (Tenor)

Other possibilities.. Dave Kessler (kesslermusic.com) is clearing out a line of Cousenon horns from his store. They are actually a B&S stencil and might actually give you a bit more of that vintage tone with modern keywork.

Reply To Post

1. by hgiles
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, I found them. They are the Courtois stencil. I remember playing B&S some time back and to me they seemed to play just like a Keilwerth I had. It's a shame they didn't have a better marketing angle they seem to be great horns and worthy of consideration under the circumstances.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

B&S builds a good sax. They make horns for several companies; including Guardala (though no longer marketing saxophones) and LA Sax. They are German made. The Yamaha YTS 62 is a very good sax and a great buy! I haven't been able to find a better quality "pro" model sax for less money. Their sound is fairly neutral and nothing to get too excited about using the standard mouthpiece, but put an Otto Link New York 7 on this baby and take cover as the roof starts crumbling down! Cannonball has come along ways in the past couple years and their new Stone Series saxophones are very impressive. They are very bright, and have a distinctive ring to them which makes them an excellent choice for rock or jazz. Their design is somewhat of a hybrid cross between a King Super 20 and the infamous Selmer Mark VI. If you look at vintage horns, I think one of the best "bangs for the buck" are the Buescher 400's and Aristocrats, particularly the pre 1963, pre Selmer models. I have seen several for well under $1000 that needed little or no repair. The King Clevelands, Zephyrs and 613's are also a great buy. The earlier Conn 16M's are also good horns that sell very cheap! The Conn 10M Naked Ladies usually bring decent money, but some of the later 10M's (1960-1968) are also great players and can be bought for considerably less. Best of luck, Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!