Saxophone Forum

by The_§ax
(147 posts)
19 years ago

Lip helping Products

Does anyone know of any lip balms or anything that are good to use after or during a long playing session, that could relieve my lips of that dry and painful feeling that I get. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by vipegrad
    (47 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Lip helping Products

Many sax experts say, to conserve space in your case, substitute lip balm with cork greast, its about the same, its minty fresh, its almost the same, and, best of all you probobly have some already. If this is not appealing, drink water and use any chapstick, they are almost all the same. Hope this helped, and I am serious about cork grease, it is basically the same as chap stick.

Reply To Post

1. by The_§ax
      (147 posts)

19 years ago

Not another Retard. **(Sigh)**

Reply To Post

1. by The_§ax
        (147 posts)

19 years ago

Just for the people that did not see the previous post, I was not referring to Vipegrad, but someone else who's post has been cut from this thread.

Reply To Post

2. by EL Seano
        (255 posts)

19 years ago

Don't ever talk about Jimi like that again.

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Wow....disrespecting Jimi!?! The only musician you're allowed to disrespect on this site is Kenny G!!! Didn't you know that? With such little appreciation and respect for one of music 's most innovative and inspirational guitarists, I would suggest you quit playing sax and take up drums! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by vipegrad
        (47 posts)

19 years ago

Who is Jimi? PS. I did not mean to sound like im poking fun, cork grease as well as lip balm are each patroleum based products with the sole purpose of sealing moisture in. In the case of lip balm, it prevents dry air from drying you lips as well as holding in sweat keeping your lips hydrated. Cork grease also seals a cork from dry air as well as moisturising the cork so it keeps a seal. I do not have any condition affecting my mental capacity, I just like to have fun once in a while, and in this case, also convey a message. Grease is grease, wheather it says carmex or cork grease, its made for about the same purpose.

Reply To Post

5. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

19 years ago

My daughter ran out of lip balm and used cork grease herself. She said it doesn't taste as good, but it worked!

Reply To Post

6. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

We were speaking of Jimi Hendrix , Vipegrad. I use Blist-X for cracked lips, and keep a small tube in my case as well as cork grease. Here are a few things that every sax player should have in their case: 1. saxophone (ok, this may seem obvious to most, but considering some of the recent posts I have seen...) 2. reeds (get a couple of those nifty LaVoz reed holders. They're cheap and help protect your reeds. 3. cleaning swab; preferably silk 4.cleaning cloth to wipe off finger prints, spit, oil from fingers, etc. 5. reed trimmer 6. neck strap or harness (The neotech straps are great) 7.cork grease 8. lip balm (Chapstick, Blist-X, etc) 9. small bottle of slide oil (works great for oiling tenons, pivot points, or even wipe a little around a tone hole with your finger to stop a pad from sticking) These items are very important. Here are a few other suggestions depending on your playing needs. 1. Lyre (pretty important for marching band) 2. extra mouthpiece and ligature 3. chromatic tuner 4. wireless microphone 5. Charlie A's gig dust (helps prevent sticking pads) Yes, some of these items might not all fit in your case. This is why I like big cases!

Reply To Post Yahoo!