Saxophone Forum

by jamterry
(573 posts)
19 years ago

Alto and Tenor together

Does anyone like to play alto and tenor together? I used to do this a lot in my first band. we played a lot of motown and R&B. I remeber playing "Cold Sweat",by James Brown. Does anybody play "Shotgun"? I love that song. I play a a two sax riff in the middle of my solo. Practice On !!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Alto and Tenor together

do yu mean two horns at the same time??? because i have seen a blind dude do it once and i have also done it as a kind of a joke but never actually worked it into a song. you are very limited to the number of notes yu can play. or are you using a synth two create the second sound?

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

19 years ago

In my first band back in the 60's I played tenor and keyboards. I saw a guy play tenor and alto in a sort of motown/ soul band. I liked it what i heard , so i proceeded to work out some riffs on tenor and alto. Our rhythm guitarist played trumpet with me, and we could do simple but effective chord punches and trills etc. We sounded tough on James Brown/s "Cold Sweat " and Motown stuff. In those days I was playing a Farfisa Combo Compact organ and later a Hammond B3. I'll bet you would like my old analog synths I used those a lot in the 80's. Thanks for your reply, as I enjoyed hearing from you !!!! Take care :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by phathorn
        (165 posts)

19 years ago

Jeff Coffin(Bela Fleck and the Flecktones) has started to make that technique popular again...

Reply To Post