Saxophone Forum

by rjw524
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Need Advice with Purchase Question...

Hi all, My name is R.J. I've been playing for quite some time and I've been primarily an Alto player. I've wanted for some time to switch to tenor and finally decided now's the time. So, I've been taking my Alto (a Selmer SA-80 Series 1, made in Paris) around to local dealers in Michigan trying to make a trade for a decent Tenor Sax. Basically, here's the best deal I was offered... A dealer here offered me a new Cannonball Excalibur Tenor in exchange for my alto and $500. My alto is in very good condition. I play it regularly. I know it's not the newest horn or the most popular of the Selmer series of horns, but it is a Selmer nonetheless. Does this sound like a fair trade to those of you who better understand the value of horns than I do? To me, it sounds like the guy is trying to get over on me. What is basically a fair price for a Paris-made Selmer SA-80 Ser. 1 these days? Could I actually get a decent tenor for it? Thanks alot.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Need Advice with Purchase Question...

I think that you should play both alto and tenor. Save up for a tenor. Instruments keep getting more expensive. Don't let the alto go. If you have a session , you can borrow or rent a tenor. If I need to lay Baritone tracks, I borrow one from a kid down the street. I financed part of the cost of my tenor and alto and paid the rest on layaway. My point is: Don'T give up a horn. I think you can finance a tenor somehow. Hang in there :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by rjw524
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks Jamterry, I appreciate the comment. But really, I'm just no longer interested in playing the alto. I've been thinking about this for the last 3 or 4 years. I've always felt like a tenor player at heart. My favorite musicians are tenor players. I've even had people tell me "you play a tenor player". I'm long overdue for this actually. I can always buy an alto again in the future. But really, I've been done with the alto for quite some time now. I really want to sell it if it means getting into a good tenor sax now. But I do appreciate your comments.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by hgiles
        (5 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with JAMTERRY. Retailers aren't going to give you enough for the alto to justify a trade for a tenor. THAT Cannonball is NOT the one you want. You want either a GLOBAL or STONE series and even that would be questionable for your Selmer. Keep the alto for a backup 2d and save up for a vintage Buescher Big B or something.

Reply To Post

1. by rjw524
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with the comment that retailers aren't going to give me what the Selmer is worth. I've come to see that after speaking with several of them. I have been playing the sax for over 20 years. As I've mentioned, I've been thinking about this for a few years now. I'm definitely selling the alto at this point. Why keep an instrument you have no interest in playing any further? Also, I've been doing some looking around at other Selmer SA 1 altos recently and none of them seem to be getting more than $1,500 or $1,700 best. I've seen Mark VI altos going for about $2,300 and those are about as good as altos are going to get. I'm totally fine with selling the Selmer at this point. Although I appreciate your time, what I'm looking for here is not help on deciding whether or not to sell. That decision's been made and is set. What I am looking for is help on determining the appropriate value on the Selmer I currently own.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

19 years ago

If you click on the "free trading" button at the top of the page, there will be a link in the left-hand column for appraisals. I think they charge $25 for an appraisal.

Reply To Post

3. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

19 years ago

If you click on the "free trading" button at the top of the page, there will be a link in the left-hand column for appraisals. I think they charge $25 for an appraisal.

Reply To Post