Saxophone Forum

by nick48million
(2 posts)
5 years ago

Buying a Tenor Sax

Hi,
I'm trying to bu a new tenor saxophone, and I would rather buy a second hand one as you can get a better one for less money. I have been playing alto for 6 years now and buying a tenor will help me in my development.  I have a budget of around £1000 and would like a high end student saxophone if not a low end intermediate one at least.
Does anyone know any good tenor sax models or shops I can look for a saxophone around that price?
Hope someone can help!

(also hope this okay to post on here?)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Buying a Tenor Sax

First off, it is perfectly OK to post this question here.  However, we need more information, for example you ask for shots that you can check out for a tenor, but you do not mention where you live.  I assume it is in the UK, since you mention a budget of 1000 pounds, but what large city do you live near?
    Your budget might be able to get you a professional grade used Buescher Aristocrat model tenor sax.  I would try to stick to Bueschers with serial numbers between 280XXX and 380XXX to make sure you get one of the pre Selmer buyout versions of the tenor.  Also, assume that after purchase, you make need an additonal 100 - 200 pounds for repair and setup.

Another good option is to get a used Yamaha YTS-23 tenor.  Although this is an old Yamaha student grade horn, it is built very well, it is easy to get it serviced, and it holds its value well.  This last point is important if you later want to trade it on a different horn.  Many, many people consider this to be much better than the average student tenor.  It would also make a much smaller dent on your budget.

Reply To Post

1. by nick48million
      (2 posts)

5 years ago

Hi yes, I live near Oxford if that's any help.
      Thanks for your help so far :)

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

5 years ago

Yes that makes a difference since the Bueschers seem to run higher where you are.  Perhaps you can find a used B&S or a Trevor James a little easier at your location.  The Yamaha probably can be found at a good price as well.  I know of no local shops where you are, since I am in the U.S.

Reply To Post