Saxophone Forum

by saxmanryan1187
(8 posts)
19 years ago

Kenny G

Why is Kenny G so ratted on in the saxophone world? I happen to love his soothing music. He has some great licks and knows how interest the listener. If anything, we should all look up to him rather than say he's not a great sax player.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Kenny G

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not another Kenny G post!!! Ryan, people love to hate Kenny for various reasons. In truth, many of those people who still criticise him own at least one of his CD's. Kenny has many great attributes, but he is often looked upon as the "Richard Simmons" of the saxophone world. Many true jazz fans just don't take him and his style of playing seriously. If you really enjoy jazz, and can appreciate it's complexity, and understand it's concepts and interpretation, listen to music by Chris Potter, or some vintage jazz like Paul Desmond, or Charlie Parker, or John Coltrane. I have to admit though, I do enjoy listening to Kenny from time to time.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by c-sax
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

I understand what you are saying in a sense. Sure kenny G is a great player, (you can't deny that), and yes maybe he shouldn't be ratted on as much as he is, but to any musician or non musician looking to enjoy an evening of smooth jazz, (or really jazz at all), Kenny G is the last CD that should be played. Though he is a good player, his music can not be taken seriously as jazz. He is more or less a glorified style of elevator music. That is why people, (such as me), become so easly "unthrilled" by his music. Why spend $12 on his CD when all you have to do is sit in the lobby of a cheap hotel somewhere?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

A hot tub, a few candles, a bottle of sparkling wine, and a Kenny G CD can make for a romantic evening. Just keep that in mind before you criticise Kenny too much!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by EL Seano
        (255 posts)

19 years ago

OH GOD NO

Pleeeeaaaase don't talk about Mr. Gorelick, I just get angry and this causes people to believe that I am not very nice. :-( Sean

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

"A hot tub, a few candles, a bottle of sparkling wine, and a Kenny G CD can make for a romantic evening. Just keep that in mind before you criticise Kenny too much!" that's some of the best advice I've seen from you yet. =) oh and as for Richard Simmons, www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=6647 when he was on Who's Line is it Anyway....

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by saxophonik
          (73 posts)

19 years ago

Richard Simmons....LOL.... sometimes you kill me :) OK, here's my opinion... for what it's worth: I admit to owning Kenny's "Greatest Hits" cd, but I really don't consider him a "jazz" musician. Yes, he can play jazz if he wants to, but his success is more in the "pop" genre, and that's where he decides to linger (whether for the money, fame, or just the love of the style, you have to ask him, though.) Is it fair to say that anyone sucks? No, if they're playing what's in their heart. Just because he plays pop ballads on the sax, does that make him any less of a professional musician? No. But, should those pop ballads be considered true jazz? IMO, not really. As far as my Kenny G cd, it's a pretty good disc to put on really low if you're having trouble getting to sleep.

Reply To Post

2. by knorter
          (205 posts)

19 years ago

I think the reason Mr. G gets a bad rep is because of some comments he made when his career first took off. He claimed in an interview to be Trane's legacy. That really upset some people who have spent their lives study and trying to keep Trane's music and musical ideas alive. Kenny is a good instrumentalist. He is a very successful pop musician. I certainly wouldn't take that away from him. I think the other issue is that his record companies market him as a jazz musician because it's instrumental and includes improvisation. This has caused some friction with jazz artists who feel that the public is being misled about jazz and it's tradition.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

HE WHAT?!?!?!?! CLAIMING TO BE IN TRANES LEGACY?!?!?!? I'M GOING TO KILL HIM!

Reply To Post

4. by JZ
          (83 posts)

19 years ago

Toughen up

It's "wounded male" music.

Reply To Post

5. by knorter
          (205 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Toughen up

I was reminded of Pat Metheny's views and thought I'd include a link. Here's the address: www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm Just another opinion :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

6. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

yay go Pat

Reply To Post

7. by Mactenor
          (102 posts)

19 years ago

I saw Kenny G on a video with Michael Bolton and he was excellent.....a GREAT tenor sound.

Reply To Post

8. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

It plays tenor? Hmmm I never knew. I thought it mainly played soprano.

Reply To Post