Saxophone Forum

by keycup
(12 posts)
19 years ago

Name that Conn

Here are your clues... 1968 alto sax; s/n=L759xx; bell engraved with "Conn USA"; sheet metal key guards. Is this a "6M Artist" or a "14M Director" or what? Was this sax made in the USA or in Mexico? Thanks for the help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Name that Conn

Connsaxman Jim will tell you when he sees your post.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by keycup
      (12 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks, jamterry. I forgot to mention that the saxt has the (standard?) "laquer with nickel keys/rods" finish.

Reply To Post

1. by keycup
        (12 posts)

19 years ago

One more clue (unless I think of more things I forgot to mention): the bell has the "shooting stars" pattern.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

It sounds like a 14M Director's model. The year, "L" is in fact 1968, which was still a good year for Conn, and your sax was made in Elkhart. If it is a 6M, it would be stamped 6M above the thumb rest. It would have the underslung octave key without a microtuner, and an adjustable G# mechanism. Conn saxophones 1963 and later had sheet metal guards; even the 6M. Most Director's models featured the stars and bow engraving. The 6M's featured a variety of different engravings from the naked lady, which disappeared in 1959, to a similar music notes engraving, and even a very basic Conn USA engraving. If the sax has a top-mounted octave key, and is not engraved "6M", it is definately a 14M Directors model

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Roccosm
        (113 posts)

18 years ago

Jim My Conn ser # 246329 silver matte finish, is there anything about this horn that I should know, I do love the sound very much, very mello . thank you

Reply To Post

2. by keycup
        (12 posts)

19 years ago

Sincere thanks, consaxman_jim. I checked many websites prior to posting and found enough info to both educate and confuse. Based on your advice, I'm sure that I am the proud owner of a 14M Director. I've had it ever since 1968, but I stopped playing it in the 70's and never knew the model -- until now.

Reply To Post

1. by keycup
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

consaxman_jim, Can you provide any details on the Eb alto 50M Director (years of production and distinguishing characteristics)? According to one website (The Conn Loyalist), the 50M was produced at roughly the same time as my sax. Thanks, again.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The 50M is actually a Pan American made by Conn, not a Conn. The Conn Loyalist is a little confusing there. The Pan Americans and the Directors models are very similar.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by keycup
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

I read that the Conn Director models were intended to be student/intermediate horns and therefore were based upon existing Pan American models. Is the Conn 14M derived from the Pan American 50M? Do you know, or can you speculate about the differences between the 14M and 50M? I saw a Pan American alto on ebay that looked like the twin of an early Conn 14M -- it must have been a 50M.

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

That is correct, the Conn Director models are based on the Pan American models and were created for the student/intermediate market. The Pan American design had proven itself to be a very good and dependable design, with good intonation and good tone. The first Director's models were basically the same horn as their earlier 50M counterparts. In 1963, Conn went to sheet metal key guards instead of the wire guards. There were a few other changes made throughout the years, but nothing significant. The quality started a downward slide after 1968 when Conn purchased the Best company in Nogales, AZ and started moving production to Nogales. After Conn was sold to MacMillan, the quality continued to dwindle, and production moved across the border into Mexico. Of the Director's models, the best horns are those made from 1955-1962. Those made from 1963-1968 are also pretty good. Horns made from 1969-1980 are only slightly better than some of the Chinese junk being sold today. After Daniel Henkin bought the company back from MacMillan in 1980, quality did improve, and even a few pro saxophones (actually made by Keilwerth) were sold under the Conn name. Daniel Henkin tried to save Conn, but unfortunately he was a little too late. My first alto was a Conn 14M Director model made in 1963. I played it for several years and finally sold it about 2 years ago after I bought my 6M. It was a nice horn and played very well. I wish I would have kept it actually.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by keycup
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

My 14M was my first sax and I'm glad I saved it -- a lot of sentimental value. Plus, my 11-year son just started playing alto and he thinks Dad's 14M is pro stock. It definitely produces a fuller sound than the Blessing rental he played for a month, and it's easier to play. Just to trace the roots of the 14M back a bit further, can you tell me anything more about the Pan American 50M, such as when it debuted as a model, and whether it was a fresh design or it was based upon a previous model?

Reply To Post