Saxophone Forum

by Michele
(1 post)
19 years ago

alto sax purchase for an 11 year old

Hi, I am new to your discussion, but was wondering....my son has been taking lessons for about a year and a half and loves the sax. I want to purchase one and have found a "Mirage Selmer SX60A" new and inexpensive. Is this sax good enough to grow on for 2 to 3 years?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by seanprather
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

Re: alto sax purchase for an 11 year old

The Mirage Is a poor model for the Selmer Line. You need to get him into an instrument that will perform well for a level. The better the Instrument the more incouraged the child will be to continue. The resale value will also be greater in the Future. If you are going to get a student instrument like the Mirage, Then you should look at the Yamaha YAS 23. This model yamaha is by far the best student model and will be good enough for the next 2 to 3 years. This instrument will also be easy to sell for a good price. Talk to your local Repair man not a sales man about the best Instrument to get!

Reply To Post

1. by JZ
      (83 posts)

19 years ago

Sean P, you nailed it. " Talk to the repairman, not the salesman." Perhaps even further: Buy your horn from a store that has a good repair shop. If the store doesn't have a repair shop, go elsewhere. Also, if you ask about the repair shop, you'll seem like a more credible, informed buyer. Actually, you will be a more informed . . .

Reply To Post

2. by Radjammin
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

I triple agree with what they say. If I was to buy from a local shop, which I wouldn't but I could see why you would if you want to offer patronage to it if they are friendly or you get your lessons/equipment there. I would only trust the repair guy. I assume your an adult and by now you must have learned that Saleman do not have a soul. They would sell you a rock if you would buy it. They would say it was "strong" and "long lasting" Haha. The repair man cares becuase when you break it, he has to fix it. He usually doesn't get any cut on the sales, and if he's good he probably is always working. He might not even play sax, but he still can pick out a good instrument.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM