Saxophone Forum

by JazzExpress
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Reeds made for metal?

could someone please tell me if there is any kind of reed made just for a metal mouthpiece? Right now i use an otto link 7* and i use #3 ZZ reeds. Should i try other strenght reeds also? Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by EL Seano
    (255 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Reeds made for metal?

I think Vandoren V16 are made for metals - not sure though. I use Java 3.5s on a Dave Guardala Crescent Mouthpiece. If you're happy with the ZZ's then you should stay with them. I'd highly recommend going up to 3.5s though. They take more power and you need to get used to them, but the results in your tone and volume control are worth the wait. You will get frustrated and want to go back down to 3's, but just be patient. The more you play 3.5s the sooner the break in period disappears. You should give the Javas a try if you're a jazz man, I love them, some people hate them, I hate the ZZ's but some people love them. Go figure, it must be a personal thing. Hope this helps. Sean

Reply To Post

1. by CMelodyMan77
      (26 posts)

19 years ago

While I don't play on a metal piece, I would assume that jazz reeds would work best. I use Rico Jazz Selects. Forumofthesaxes.myfreeforum.org

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Try LaVoz, Rico Jazz Select, or Vandoren Java. I've used the V16's and I hate them!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxophonik
          (73 posts)

19 years ago

I agree about the V16's... junk. I use Rico Jazz Select 3 med. with a Dukoff D7

Reply To Post