Saxophone Forum

by c-sax
(4 posts)
19 years ago

I got a question

Has anybody ever played on a DC PRO series II saxaphone and if so, what did you think?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: I got a question

Run away from it as fast as your legs will carry you

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by EL Seano
      (255 posts)

19 years ago

EEEK DC PRO!!

Just ask Connsaxmanjim. He'll tell you many horror stories about it. Dc pro, as far as I know, Is a cheap rip off of Cannonball (a good sax company) and they don't play well at all. Don't waste your money and save up for something good, like a Selmer, Conn or Cannonball.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: EEEK DC PRO!!

Exactly right. They're a cheap Asian made copy of a cannonball. The quality is terrible. For an inexpensive sax, go to www.kesslermusic.com and look at the Kessler Customs and the Antigua Winds that they sell. The quality of these horns is pretty good for the money.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by diablovt
      (3 posts)

18 years ago

Re: I got a question

I know I'll get some flak for this but I must tell of my experience with a certain DC Pro Series II tenor. I am not an expert player like Sonny Rollins or Joe Lovano or even Boots Randolph but I am certainly not a young beginner either. I have been playing the saxophone for over 19 years. I started out on a Bundy alto back in 1986 and over the years have owned a 1990 Selmer USA alto (that horn always had trouble staying in tune in the middle registers and the left pinky spatula keys took an act of Congress to press down), a Conn Shooting Stars tenor (1970's model I think- not sure about year and never liked that horn much so I got rid of it after a couple months), a few Keilwerth's and Yamaha's that I have borrowed from friends, and most recently a 1991 Yamaha 52 alto that I absolutely loved until I sold it two years ago when someone offered me $300 more than I paid for it. Looking back that was a dumb decision since that is the only alto I have ever played that I could really make sound like I wanted it to. I loved that Yamaha, but anyway. I wanted to get back into the tenor world and have borrowed a few tenors from friends over the past few years for gigs and concerts but I needed one of my own. I wanted a Yamaha 62 but I didn't have the cash for it. So I shopped around for a while since money was an issue and found the DC Pro line on ebay. Now I sell on ebay all the time but I didn't want to buy a horn that way so I looked into the DC Pro line and saw they were offered by Dominic's Music in Salem, Mass.. I have a friend in Salem and had him swing by Dominic's store and check it out. He chatted with Dominic for a while and bought some reeds from him and then called me to let me know that Dominic seemed to be a nice legit guy. I called Dominic four times over the course of a month and asked him every question you could think of about his DC Pro horns and each conversation he patiently answered me. He told me that the DC Pro is his own name brand of horn (D.C. are his initials) and that he has a shop in Taiwan (not China) manufacture them for him to his specs and his qualifications. Naturally, that led to many questions on my part. But, I am in the bicycle business by trade and I do know that over 90% of all bicycle frames sold in the USA (outside of Wal-Mart bikes) are manufactured in Taiwan so I know a lot about Taiwanese manufacturing and so far I have no problems with it. Finally, after being reassured that if I didn't like the horn he would exchange it for a Selmer or Yamaha or whatever I wanted (plus the cost difference ofcourse) I bought a DC Pro Series II unlacquered tenor with the oversize bell. While we were on the phone and he was taking down my order and answering my last questions he kept reassuring me of the quality of the horn and how much I would like it. Well, here's the part you've been waiting for and the part I like to tell the most. After I had spoken with Dominic and had bought the horn I waited the four days (weekend included) for UPS to deliver it to me here in NC. That's when I discovered Saxquest forums and all of the discussions on here of cheap Chinese saxes and sorry Asian copies. I even read a lot of negative stuff on here about Dominic. I immediately became heartbroken thinking that I had just paid $800 for a cheap piece of metal that wouldn't play and would fall apart if I held it wrong. Then, after four long agonizing days of worry and negative Saxquest reviews my DC Pro tenor arrived by UPS. I opened up the cardboard shipping box (which was very well packed) and slid out the sax case and viewed my new horn. It is a nice sax case by the way, nothing too fancy but actually more than I was expecting. The sax looked great and the unlacquered finish was exactly what I had wanted. Now it was truth time. I removed the horn from the case and removed all of the shipping cork from the keys (that took forever as they were protected by a ton of cork) and assembled the horn. All of the keys felt right and the response was very quick and exact. Then I warmed up a reed, slid on the neck strap and started to play. I was so nervous that I had bought a cheaply made copy horn that my stomach was churning butterflies. Then it happened. This DC Pro Series II unlacquered tenor started to sing. I mean it sounded awesome! I played every song I knew and every riff I could think of and could not find any weakness whatsoever in this horn. Soft hush-tone playing like Joe Henderson or all out raunchy King Curtis style blues tunes, all of it sounded superb with this new DC Pro. From the lowest B flat to the highest altissimo that I can control this horn rocked! Well, that was back in March and it is now November 1st and I have played this DC Pro horn almost every day during the last 7 months. I have not had any mechanical work done to it at all (so far none needed) and aside from cleaning it with an old t-shirt from time to time to remove fingerprints and spit it is exactly as it was the first day I got it. I have not found one single problem or flaw with it and I am so glad I called Dominic! Do I wish I had waited a while and bought a Yamaha? Nope, not now. I love this horn and am amazed at its pure sound and precise action and response. I love to play it and my musician friends are blown away by its powerful sound and by the fact that I got a horn of this quality new for $800. Did I get lucky and find the only good DC Pro horn that Dominic ever had produced? Maybe, but I doubt it. Do yourself a favor and call Dominic and give him a try. If you are buying a sax on a limited budget I don't see how you could go wrong.

Reply To Post