Saxophone Forum

by NewBandMom
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Any Tips for a New Band Mommy?

Ok so this is my 12 year old's first year in band and she chose alto saxophone. So far her band teacher seems to lack in teacher to parent skills and as I have 0 background in music...I have 0 clue how to help/encourage her during her practice sessions. The sax we purchased was a Conn 24M which I am hoping is a decent one. She is very enthusiastic infact its the first thing she does when she walks through the door...yesterday practiced for about an hour (which my husband said maybe a little too much). I guess my question is what should I be doing when she is practicing if anything at all. I want to be encouraging without being a pushy "band mom". She is uncomfortable with the neck strap that came with the horn, would a padded one make a difference or do we look at a harness? Is the brand of the reed important now? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Any Tips for a New Band Mommy?

Her mouthpiece is fine, and rico reeds will work for now. I like the wide neck straps that look a guitar strap. She doesn't need a harness. A half hour a day is enough practice for now, but let her practice as much as she wants to. Tell to get that reed in her mouth while she is getting her horn and music in order. That reed needs to be wet before she starts playing.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by NewBandMom
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you all so much for these tips. Hopefully we can help to keep her interest up although at the moment she seems to be interested enough for all of us. LoL infact she decided to break it out again at 9pm lastnight (thank god we dont have neighbors to either side of us or this might have been a problem). My husband picked her up a padded neck strap yesterday and she said that it was infact soo much better. I do have one last question...private instruction....do we consider this now or later on down the road? She's asking about it now but I guess I fear that too much can cause her to burn out.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

IMO, there is no real replacement for private instruction. Someone that knows how to play well will help your daughter make sure she is going the right way, and not picking up bad habits, which are hard to break later on

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

----------------------------------------------------------------------- I guess my question is what should I be doing when she is practicing if anything at all. --------------------------------------------------------------------- Nope, just leave hear alone for the most part. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- She is uncomfortable with the neck strap that came with the horn, would a padded one make a difference or do we look at a harness? ---------------------------------------------------------------------- That sounds like a good idea, actually. This is definately worth looking into, though a harness is usually not necessary (and are more expensive). Being uncomfortable certainly is no encouragement to play. ----------------------------------------------------------------- Is the brand of the reed important now? ----------------------------------------------------------------- Not really. Most seem to start on Ricos (I did) which I find to be pretty decent to this day. Reed choice is probably something that can wait a year or two and is a personal choice, though many directors point students to vandoren by highschool. Something to possibly look into would be a good student mouthpiece. There's always a real possibility that your daughter's is junk.

Reply To Post

1. by NewSax
        (8 posts)

19 years ago

Congratulations on her interest in music. I have a 16 year old daughter that plays keyboard/clarinet/soprano sax and loves it! Items parents can do: 1) See to it that you compliment them, even if a little rough sounding at times. 2) Make sure basics are learned from the instructor well. 3) Go to all concerts and performances. 4) Go see professionals live on stage....no better way to inspire a student. 5) Listen to a wide selection of music in your home....don't get locked in to one type. My daughter listens and appreciates all from pops to classical to old jazz to new jazz to polka!! Keep smiling....and have fun on your journey!!! :)

Reply To Post

2. by NewBandMom
        (5 posts)

19 years ago

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Something to possibly look into would be a good student mouthpiece. There's always a real possibility that your daughter's is junk. --------------------------------------------------------------------- Can you suggest a brand? I'd ask her band director but his answer when I asked about a quality beginner instrument was "Any that dont come from Walmart are ok" >.> so I am not hopeful that his response on mouthpieces would be any better.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

---------------------------------------------------------------- Can you suggest a brand? I'd ask her band director but his answer when I asked about a quality beginner instrument was "Any that dont come from Walmart are ok" >.> so I am not hopeful that his response on mouthpieces would be any better. ------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have heard great things about the Morgan Protone over at www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/index.php . It's a low priced (around $30 online) piece that's hand finished by a reputable artisan. I would steer her away from more expensive mouthpieces because a Jr High band room may not be the safest environment for nice things. My main concern if I had a kid starting on a horn would be: 1) making sure instrument is competent and in good working condition. It is not likely anyone but an experienced player, teacher, or technician would be able to truly tell if this is the case for your 24M 2) Having competent instruction. 3) Having a mouthpiece with an accurate and appropriate facing for a beginner. The facing is where the reed hits the mouthpiece. Many stock student mouthpieces fail here due to their cheap and inconsistant nature. Some may be fine, others almost unplayable. I think these things are necessary to remove unneded sources of frustration and obstacles to advancement.

Reply To Post

3. by wolfercdat
        (5 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with alot of what the experts said on this discussion except in the area of private lessons. Like many children I played in the band and orchestra from 6th grade on, but I never intended to make it a career. I practiced just long enough to stay 1st chair 2d part, because the 1st parts required entirely too much practicing. My mom was an avid fan (went to all the competitions and performances) which really meant alot to me, but she never nagged about my practicing. As an adult (I'm 37) I have played again in a local orchestra made up of old band kids and band directors and also our church. I see alot of parents (ourself included) that wrestle with the private lesson question. When I was a kid that concept was really reserved for the kids who you knew were probably going to go on to have a career in music. Granted, your daughter will improve greatly under a private instructor but at what cost to her play time. There are probably alot of us that actually played pretty good and never had private lessons; did we pick up bad habits? Maybe, but we also learned to compare notes with our friends and learned better ways to play. I would wait a few years and see how your child's joy in the instrument changes over time. Does she get so good that she's leaving her peers in the dust? Does she find herself wanting to spend every waking minute practicing or does it become another chore? Right now it might be a novelty that wears off with the increases in homework pressure. The private lesson by itself will not make her a better player and in fact the extra instruction will also mean additional practice time. Overall, my years in band were alot of fun, which my mom and I still talk about. I think you'll do great.

Reply To Post

4. by StrugglingFSUsax
        (2 posts)

19 years ago

Getting her a private teacher is an excellent idea. Those who mentioned bad habits being hard to break are definately right. Heck, I came to college playing with my upper lip covering my top teeth! Someone can correct me if this isnt appropriate, but, if she is having issues with practicing because her bottom teeth are cutting into her bottom lip a small amount of denture gum works wonders. Also, if she starts complaining that the vibrations in the mouthpiece are hurting her teeth some medical tape on top of the mouthpiece helps, it will keep her embouchure steady/consistant too. Those are the first two things I've found younger kids especially use as excuses to not practice. It's great though that right now she seems really into it. Has her teacher shown her the notecard trick? You slide a notecard between your reed and mouthpiece and where the card stops is roughly where your top teeth should be. Although embouchure isnt a major thing right now, the quicker those small muscles in your face are strengthened the better. It prevents a lot of hassle in the long run. Something that might help is go to your local library and check out a book or two on saxophone. Then, during one of those practice sessions you can pay attention to things like embouchure and such and when your daughter asks you questions you'll be more likely able to answer them. Your daughter will be impressed with your knowledge, and it will reinforce that "mommy always knows everything." LOL. Hope this was helpful. -ARR

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by SaxAppeal
        (67 posts)

19 years ago

***how to help/encourage her during her practice sessions.*** _______________________________________________________ Encourage her to do her best and make the best possible tone quality and count well. In a few months start her on scales, their are 12 major scales which she will have to test on at the end of the year which will determine what band she makes it in next year. ***The sax we purchased was a Conn 24M which I am hoping is a decent one*** __________________________________________ Honestly i wouldn't know. But I have heard good things about Conn. ***She is uncomfortable with the neck strap that came with the horn, would a padded one make a difference or do we look at a harness?*** ________________________________________________ Don't do harnesses stick with the strap. I can give you some links to where to buy some good neckstraps. here: www7.mailordercentral.com/frederichweinerinc/prodinfo.asp?number=SOSB That website is weiner music - they are a great suppy source. www7.mailordercentral.com/frederichweinerinc/prodinfo.asp?number=SBNSDM www7.mailordercentral.com/frederichweinerinc/prodinfo.asp?number=SBNSS0 I have an oleg neckstrap which is excellent - its only like $30 and its is leather and comfortable (it is the top link) Another link for the oleg neckstrap is here: www.saxophone.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=88 ***Is the brand of the reed important now?*** ____________________________________________- Yes, don't buy ricos!!!! I have tried ricos and hemkes made by rico and they aren't as good as you classic blue box Vandorens. www7.mailordercentral.com/frederichweinerinc/prodinfo.asp?number=RVA There are the reeds to buy they are the best for beginners and my sax teacher who has been playing for years uses them. On size you should buy 2.5 and later in the year move up to 3's.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxAppeal
          (67 posts)

19 years ago

Oh and on the Mothpiece I would get a selmer sa80 C* www.wwbw.com/Selmer-S80-Alto-Sax-Mouthpiece-i15317.music?t=4 If you want to purchase buy the C*

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

SaxAppeal said: ------------------------------------------------------------------ Yes, don't buy ricos!!!! I have tried ricos and hemkes made by rico and they aren't as good as you classic blue box Vandorens --------------------------------------------------------------------- I would suggest ricos for ease of playing and economy. Vandoren BB are rather resistant and expensive, and IMO, far less consistant. A novice isn't as naturally carefull with reeds and tend to chip and ruin them quite often. Cost is a factor to most.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxAppeal
            (67 posts)

19 years ago

Er when istarted playing they told me i was gonna chip'em alot and such but i didn't - it just depends on the person :S But anyways Vandoren Blue Box use better quality cane and have a better heart and make tone quality better and lower notes easier to play. I myself tried Hemkes made by rico and they wouldn't play the low notes well at all. Vandoren BB is the way to go...

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
              (767 posts)

19 years ago

---------------------------------------------------------------- But anyways Vandoren Blue Box use better quality cane and have a better heart and make tone quality better and lower notes easier to play. ------------------------------------------------------------------ 1) A rank beginner is at least a couple years away from being ready for any sort of "tone quest" 2) Not everyone shares the same opinion about a certain brand or type of reed, or mouthpiece, or horn for that matter. For instance, I think the BlueBox Vandorens are mediocre, inconsistant, unecessarily stuffy, and sound inferior to Hemkes or Classiques. I think it's important for experienced players to not try to give our brand preferences out as matter-of-fact recommendations. Realizing that, there is no harm in a rank beginner trying a couple different reed types and strengths to see what works best for them, but under teacher guidance.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
              (964 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece. If your daughter isn't having trouble with the mouthpiece she has, I would suggest sticking with it for now. If the mouthpiece is junk, that will become apparent, by causing her trouble. Some of us on this forum are wayyyyyyy too snobby about what works and what doesn't. Ask a technician (repairman or woman) to play the horn with the current mouthpiece, and let you know if it's comparable to what he or she is used to. Re: Reeds Again, go with what works. Buy two or three reeds of different brands, and have her pay attention to what she is using. She will know what works best. As she continues, she may find that what works now no longer is best. Every brand has some duds. I've used Rico, LaVoz, Vandoren, and Hemke. I personally don't notice that much difference, and I've been playing for over 30 years. Of course, I no longer play more than an hour at a stretch, so there may be something there. Your daughter's just begun. Let her develop. It might be wise to investigate a dedicated saxophone instructor if she sticks with it. Sounds like the director might not be your best resource. It would have been better if he had said, "I don't know. Let me look into it," rather than responding with the Walmart comment. Sheesh!

Reply To Post

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
              (767 posts)

19 years ago

--------------------------------------------------------------- Some of us on this forum are wayyyyyyy too snobby about what works and what doesn't. --------------------------------------------------------------- indeed.

Reply To Post

4. by JZ
              (83 posts)

19 years ago

Reefer Madness

When I first got a saxophone (Conn alto), my parents put an alarm clock next to the music stand and screamed at me if they didn’t hear playing for the full hour. My older brother added humiliation. This went on for about three years until they finally gave up, at which point I started playing along with AM radio (in the 1960s: Motown, etc.). Made for memorable childhood. Don’t be a stage mother. True sax players are nutty, kinda wacky. The sax section is always joking around, causing trouble. This is normal. Get a couple of sax kids together and it’s a rehearsal/ comedy routine (ESPECIALLY altos; tenors never practice). Allow friends to practice together but stay out of it. Don’t be a “saxophone mommy” or you’ll ruin it. IMHO

Reply To Post

5. by JZ
              (83 posts)

19 years ago

Play ze Horn !!

I remember an old black-and-white World War II movie about a traveling orchestra in Europe. An American sergeant behind enemy lines gets separated from his troops. At night he sees a few trucks traveling along a deserted road and he manages to crawl underneath one and situate himself in the undercarriage, and lets the convoy take him out of the area undetected. However, this truck carried the musical instruments to a traveling orchestra -- the musicians were in the other trucks -- and the traveling orchestra pulls into a compound of some sort. It turns out the musicians were going to perform for the local Nazi Wermacht commanders. The musicians find the guy and realize they will all be blamed if the American sergeant is discovered. Somewhat luckily, the sergeant played the trombone in high school, so the musicians gave him a trombone and made him last chair in the orchestra. Of course, the local Gauleiter (Nazi party official) or the military commander reviewed the orchestra before the performance. And he spotted the young musician playing trombone with a bunch of older and well-seasoned professionals. The commander says, "Hmmm. You ah very junge to be in zees orchestraa. Play ze horn!" So, slowly and dramatically, the young sergeant stands up, puts the trombone to his lips, and remembering high school band, plays the Star-Spangled Banner! Dramatic scene. But that's Hollywood. Here's what really happened: The musicians discover the sergeant and learned that he was not in the high school band, didn't do anything in high school, and is pretty much tone deaf. So they gave him a tenor saxophone. Fast-forward: the Nazi commander says, "Play ze horn!" Slowly and dramatically the young sergeant stands up, puts the horn in his mouth, and starts honking and squeaking. The commander says, "Agggh. Mine brother is ze same vay."

Reply To Post

6. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: New Sax Mom

Hi new sax mom, It sounds like you have gotten your daughter off to a good start. The Conn 24M is a good sax and will take care of her through highschool. They have a nice, even tone, good intonation, and they are easy to play. As for practice, the best advice I can give to encourage her is just to be enthusiastic and let her know what sounds good. I agree that private lessons are a great idea. A professional instructor can help her to learn the basic techniques and give her the one on one attention that she wouldn't get in band. Best of luck, Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by tsax_player
            (76 posts)

19 years ago

As John suggested, I will not say what brand(s) I am currently using. I find it hard to believe that Hemke reeds were the sole problem in your lacking in the low register. This is normally a support issue, embouchure controll, or a leak in the lower stack. For a beginner any reed will do. They will break them so the cheaper the better. Eventually along with everything else upgrades will need to be made.

Reply To Post

3. by kneejerk52
            (397 posts)

19 years ago

what to do while she practices? nothing, unless she ask for feed back or, it is sooo bad that you will have to get her help so she does not get discouraged. if she asks don't lie to build her up, and don't offer correction, just help to find her assistance. privacy is big ,she needs to feel free to screw up without feeling someone is hearing all her mistakes. yu might as her how did it go?

Reply To Post

4. by NewBandMom
            (5 posts)

19 years ago

lol She seems to want an audience while she is practicing....so lately I have just sat there as commanded and given her my undivided attention. Since she stopped blowing with chipmunk cheeks...its not soo hard on the ears. She occassionally makes a ummm honking geese sound that I try my hardest not to giggle at...but when she giggles I can't help but giggle with her. Yesterday was the pleasure of hearing alot of hissing and gurgling...which she asked me about and I gave my stupid "duh I dunno" look. So it seems I have the sit praise and do nothing part down to a science :). She did inquire about private lessons so I guess since she is interested (apparently another girl she knows takes them) we'll start looking for instructiion. I really can't express my gratitude enough though for all the help you guys have given me in such a short time. She's been in band now 6 weeks and getting answers from the Band Teacher just seems like a major undertaking. Its nice to know I have somewhere I can come to get pointed in the right direction to help her. Hawaii's school system leaves alot to be desired.

Reply To Post

5. by NewBandMom
            (5 posts)

19 years ago

lol She seems to want an audience while she is practicing....so lately I have just sat there as commanded and given her my undivided attention. Since she stopped blowing with chipmunk cheeks...its not soo hard on the ears. She occassionally makes a ummm honking geese sound that I try my hardest not to giggle at...but when she giggles I can't help but giggle with her. Yesterday was the pleasure of hearing alot of hissing and gurgling...which she asked me about and I gave my stupid "duh I dunno" look. So it seems I have the sit praise and do nothing part down to a science :). She did inquire about private lessons so I guess since she is interested (apparently another girl she knows takes them) we'll start looking for instructiion. I really can't express my gratitude enough though for all the help you guys have given me in such a short time. She's been in band now 6 weeks and getting answers from the Band Teacher just seems like a major undertaking. Its nice to know I have somewhere I can come to get pointed in the right direction to help her. Hawaii's school system leaves alot to be desired.

Reply To Post

6. by SaxAppeal
            (67 posts)

19 years ago

I'm glad she has taken such interest in such a fantastic horn :)

Reply To Post