Saxophone Forum

by altosax4ever
(8 posts)
19 years ago

New Sax

I've been playing sax for 5 years now, (a freshman in high school) and i'm very serious about playing. I usually practice for 2 - 2 1/2 hours each day, and I'm very sure that I want to go into music (preferably performance) after school. My question is this. I'm playing ona yamaha 23 starter horn, and I'm now ready to make the leap into a professional one. I absolutely adore the Selmer series II superaction 80, but I've never tried the series III. Should I stick with Yamaha? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, R

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by altosax4ever
    (8 posts)

19 years ago

Re: New Sax

BTW, I'm very VERY interested in jazz, if this helps at all. The mouthpiece I have is a C* with a vandorian optimum ligature.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxAppeal
      (67 posts)

19 years ago

I myself have a super action 80, it is an excellent horn.

Reply To Post

1. by altosax4ever
        (8 posts)

19 years ago

Cool! I'm glad that I wasn't being suckered in by looks, but can anyone else tell me what else they think I'd like?

Reply To Post

2. by cjbass
      (14 posts)

19 years ago

Before you buy you really need to try some out. Selmer always make good saxes and is definately worth a look. I (imho) believe that right now Yamaha and Yanagisawa saxes have passed up the selmers. I personally have a Yani A991 and a T901, which are both great horns. The Yamaha 82Z and Yani's A991 are both really similar (I liked the feel of Yani better, I also like the idea that Yanagisawa is dedicated to only making saxophones) playing wise. If you want to break the bank try Yamaha's 875EX custom, wow, or the Yani A9930. When testing all the horns I found that the Selmers tended to be sharper in the upper registers than both the Yani or the Yamaha. In the end you have to play with what you really find comfortable, and what fits your playing style.

Reply To Post