Saxophone Forum

by The_§ax
(147 posts)
19 years ago

Proper Mouthpiece Care

What products and methods do you reccomend for caring for your mouthpiece? Cheers,

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Proper Mouthpiece Care

To clean them, I use anti-bacterial dish soap and hot water. Then, I like to sterilize them with a mild chlorine bleach solution. Don't add too much bleach and don't soak it too long. About 1 tablespoon per 16 ounces of warm water. I use a quart mason jar filled about half full.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxophonik
      (73 posts)

19 years ago

I, too, use anit-bacterial dish soap to do a thorough cleaning, but I use a product called Sansprae after I play every time. It's basically a disinfectant spray designed specifically for mouthpieces to help keep bacteria from growing.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

stupid question, but someone has to ask it... what about denture cleaner? It works great on my "pipes" and should at least break things up... any comments?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

19 years ago

I'd be hesitant about denture cleaner. Dentures are not made of hard rubber, so the cleansers may not be suited to mouthpieces...

Reply To Post

2. by CMelodyMan77
          (26 posts)

19 years ago

I wash my mpcs out using plain old dishwasher detergent. Sometimes I'll use a toothbrush and toothpast to clean it. forumofthesaxes.myfreeforum.org

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

"I'd be hesitant about denture cleaner. Dentures are not made of hard rubber, so the cleansers may not be suited to mouthpieces..." yeah... I have a crappy mpc, maybe I'll put it in some cleaner for a few days, just to see what happens.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

19 years ago

I use window cleaner and an old t-shirt. I 'm sure the amonia kills the bacteria. Then i pressure wash it with cold water. If you have a high pressure sink spray nozzel, it is a piece of cake.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ