Saxophone Forum

by altosax4ever
(8 posts)
19 years ago

Over Practicing?

Hello All! I'm a high school freshman who wants to go into music performance on sax. I practice about 2-3 hours a day, on different scales, my solo for Solo and ensemble, and etudes. Is this sufficient time, or should I shorten it? Another thing, what should I practice? I want to play jazz, but I have no idea what to work on. What else should I do? bTW, please reply, I've posted on 3 other places and gotten no response. Thanks in advance! R

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Over Practicing?

Jazz Starts with the scales, and listening to what other people have done with songs. I suggest getting a few books, "Around the Horn" by Walt Wieskopf, "The Charlie Parker Omni Book", and "Blues in all Keys" by Abersold. Then work on those and listen to music to help get ideas on how it applies, and to develop ideas on how you would like to use it. As for practice time, there is no such thing as overpracticing IMO. If your chops can handle it, go for it. Lastly, the most important thing is make sure you have a good lessons teacher that helps you learn what you want to learn

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by CMelodyMan77
      (26 posts)

19 years ago

I agree. Get some jazz books, Charlie Parker Omnibook, Aebersold improv books, and play out of those. Also get a private lesson teacher..that will help you A LOT! FORUMOFTHESAXES.MYFREEFORUM.ORG

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

19 years ago

"As for practice time, there is no such thing as overpracticing IMO. If your chops can handle it, go for it." well... it can turn into "work" which in turn will burn someone out. If you enjoy it and can do 2-3 or 5 hours a day by all means go for it. But, don't pratice for pratice sake if things aren't working out, you're getting bored, or lose ambition. Just do a little bit, and start looking for some new material or something... but that's just my opinon. and my advice would change if you're a min 20's pro playing for a job.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by knorter
        (205 posts)

19 years ago

I posted awhile ago about ways to practice jazz. Look in the Jazz Discussion, scroll to the bottom and pick page 4, it's under a question "I Need Help" about halfway down the page. As far as practicing too much, my only concerns are your hands/muscles. Make sure you take lots of breaks and stretch your hands otherwise you could develop carpal tunnel. Good Luck. Kristy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The amount of time that you practice is not as important as how you practice and what you practice. I think that practicing scales is great! Knowing scales is so important; especially for a jazz player. I would also recommend getting a couple books. There are so many great books for jazz. The Jamie Abersold book is a great one, and if you ever have a chance to attend his band camp, do it! A private instructor is also a great idea. When you start getting tired, or making mistakes, or getting frustrated, then it's time to put the horn down for a little while.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by streetSax570
        (25 posts)

19 years ago

In my language of saxes there is no "over practicing". Like for the first 15 min just play freely by playing anything that comes to your head. GL!!

Reply To Post AIM

3. by BariSaxplyr
        (35 posts)

19 years ago

The most important thing you have to do if you want to play jazz music, is listne to jazz music. I see a lot of people who want to become good jazz players and practice all their jazz scales, and listen to rock music and so on. You have to really love listening to jazz if your ever going to play it.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I think you reach a point though were your attention span just runs out and your brain stops trying to learn! I'll practice until I find myself making stupid mistakes, and my I'm playing worse instead of better. Then, take a few minutes to get some fresh air, drink a glass of water (my throat gets a little dry sometimes when I have been playing for a while), and give it a rest for a little while before trying again.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxjunkie89
            (393 posts)

19 years ago

usually I practice all major scales, even the flat scales, up and down and arpeggios. Then I usually just practice anything I need to, followed by playing songs by memory, such as Maple Leaf Rag. I can practice all day, even on my soprano, which requires a strong bite, without stopping for extended periods of time. I even practice up to altissimo D, 6 spaces above the staff, which busts my chops, but I still play. So if you get determined, you can practice for hours on end w/o stopping, so pretty much, like many of you have said, you cannot practice too much.

Reply To Post