Saxophone Forum

by streetSax570
(25 posts)
19 years ago

SOPRANO SAX ANYONE??

I'm swicthing from tenor sax to soprano sax please tell me your thoughts if it's a good idea or not.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

19 years ago

Re: SOPRANO SAX ANYONE??

No, I don't believe it's a good idea. The Tenor is much more desirable in bands, whether Jazz, Concert, or marching. The soprano is much too shrill for general use. It works best as a solo instrument. I would suggest keeping the Tenor, and learning the soprano as well. You'll be much more versatile. (Plus, I love the variety you can get from the Tenor. It's much more difficult to get variety on the soprano.)

Reply To Post

1. by jazz625
      (12 posts)

19 years ago

DON'T DO IT!!!!! Soprano saxophone are for people like.... MMmmm.. Let me think.... MMMmmmmm....MMmmm.... I KNOW! That 'G' bloke.... Terrible stuff! And I'm trying to sell me soparano on ebay.......

Reply To Post

1. by saxskillzyamaha
        (52 posts)

19 years ago

what soprano do you have and how much?

Reply To Post

2. by dudz
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

Come now, Let's not forget cats like Trane, Wayne, Steve Lacy, and Lieb. There are many, many great musicians that play Soprano.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonik
          (73 posts)

19 years ago

And what about Steve Marcus of Buddy Rich's band, Jay Beckenstein of Spyro Gyra, Mars Williams of Liquid Soul, and others too numerous to list?!?! Yes, the soprano is used primarily as a solo instrument, but sometimes it's incorporated into arrangements... listen to and read the liner notes for Maynard Ferguson's "Live From San Fransisco" album and you'll see it's used all over the place.... with only a THREE member sax section! I agree that you should stick with the tenor, but don't be afraid to have a soprano ready... it does have it's moments in the group setting.

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

18 years ago

yes i agree there are some applications for soprano i play mine on sunday with the folks in church. it's not an expensive one but sounds fine with the rest of the amatures. as far as the shrill, i have heard good yamaha soprano's played live that do not shrill, the sound is quite mellow and cool. and if you don't believe me come to the deerhead inn tonite and hear nelson hill's quint. play, he doubles on the soprano, and when he does, it sounds nothing like , the G dude.

Reply To Post

3. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

If your heart is set on the soprano, add that to your arsenal. I would recommend playing an alto somewhere down the line. I consider alto a stepping stone to soprano, ans tenor a stepping stone to baritone. Tenor and alto form the nucleus and soprano and tenor the upper and lower edges. If you learn your Bb and Eb licks you can master all four horns. Don't switch!!!! Add!!!! :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by JZ
          (83 posts)

18 years ago

Truly, before anyone can advize you on the switch from T to S, we need to know your reasons for switching. Esp since there has been a bit of discussion re Sop lately.

Reply To Post