Saxophone Forum

by streetSax570
(25 posts)
18 years ago

Is it true???

I've been told that soprano saxophone is toooo of a ADVANCED instrument for Elementry students.Is this true??? If yes I may scream

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Is it true???

Scream. You need to start on alto or tenor, in order to develop your technique and your ear. Once you get a feel for what you need to do to play well on one of those, you might be able to learn to control the soprano. Some people just can't. On the other hand, you may be a natural--who knows?

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonik
      (73 posts)

18 years ago

Mom's right, again. The sopranois an extremely difficult instrument to control. Most of them are VERY out of tune with themselves between registers. Even the "pro" horns who claim to have "perfect intonation" have a few problem notes. Stick with the alto or tenor for a couple of years. Learn the basic fundamentals of pitch control on these instruments, then try to move to soprano. Besides... I've NEVER heard of any grade or middle school bands (concert OR jazz) make use of a soprano, just because of that pitch problem. High schools may use one seldomly, but the peroson really has to be able to control it. Hang in there. Nobody's telling you to never pick one up, just to give it some time. Good luck.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

The reason it's not used in middle school bands has nothing to do with it's difficulty. A clarinet has greater initial technical obsticles to overcome than a soprano saxophone. The reason it's not used in middle school or high school bands is because there are very few parts for it in band music.

Reply To Post

2. by Enviroguy
      (5 posts)

18 years ago

Yeah, very few parts for them in school bands. But they are fun to play with. Technical difficulties? No more than with most clarinets and some tenor and alto saxes. One issue I've found is the lack of resistance. A mouthpiece with a small orifice inside it helps. But I'd stick to the school horn if I was you. At least for a while. Learning to play on more than one instrument at the same time is very hard. Plus, the angle of the mouthpiece can be very different on sop's, altos and tenors. Stick to one. Master one horn and then branch out from there. Good Luck, Enviroguy

Reply To Post