Saxophone Forum

by Sax Mom
(964 posts)
18 years ago

Clarinet

Hey, I know some of you must double on a clarinet now and then. Can you give me some idea what brands are okay for a student starting out, and what to avoid? Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxophonik
    (73 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Clarinet

For a student starting out... a Yamaha! Those student clarinets are among the best out there. Also check out Buffet. They're a close second, in my humble opinion.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonik
      (73 posts)

18 years ago

As to what to avoid... I'm not really sure. I don't have much experience with clarinets, student or pro. My only advice is to stay away from any "bargain deals" that sound too good to be true (as with ANY instrument purchase.) Stick with the tried and true names people know.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

What about Vito and Bundy?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

I have a metal Vito clarinet, and its one of my better clarinets. IMO as with any instrument, Bundys are well known for being built like tanks, and easy to produce a tone, but must be upgraded within a few years For a New Clarinet, I suggest the yamaha or the Buffets, always good desicions (the two clarinets i gig on are the metal Vito and a Buffet R13 greenline)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks, all. What about used? I've been wondering also about King and LeBlanc.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

I recommend Bundy or LeBlanc. Both good student clarinets. I would avoid a clarinet with a bad odor, as you will not get it out. That odor goes into the grain of the wood ans stay forever. Hope it works out for you. :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by Enviroguy
        (5 posts)

18 years ago

I double all the time. Believe it or not, I usually use an old metal Cavalier clarinet with a really soft reed. The sound is edgy clarient in the low register but very sax-sounding in the high register. Plus, most folks haven't heard one before so it's an unusual sound. My son doubles on a Selmer Soloist. It's a pretty nice horn with great tone. I got it for him on eBay for around $200 and it was practically new. I've also used the Buffet E12 and it sounds great, but has a lighter feel and sound than my son's Selmer. Both are great horns for students. Doubling doesn't bother me much. I can just about anything with a reed. But if my son stays on clarient too long, he has a hard time with his sax. His bottom lip just doesn't know what to do. Based on my son's experiance, you may want to make sure you've really mastered your sax setup before you do too much on the clarient. Otherwise, your tone may suffer. Good Luck, Enviroguy

Reply To Post