Saxophone Forum

by knorter
(205 posts)
18 years ago

Radio City Music Hall

I am usually fairly even-tempered when writing on this site as many of the regulars can attest to, however.... I have subbed with the Orchestra at Radio City for the last 6 years for the annual Christmas Show with the Rockettes. Cablevision bought the music hall a few years back. Needless to say negotiations have turned sour for the Union here in NYC. It comes down to the egos of Cablevision's owners (the Donovan family) and our Local 802 president. 35 orchestra members along with at least another 50 subs are now out of work and Cablevision is using a tape. While I don't know who is at fault in the negotiations (I imagine both sides are at fault) I do know that unfortunately the average person won't care whether they are listening to a live or taped orchestra. I know the members of this forum are different so as a favor to working musicians everywhere I was hoping that you won't support Cablevision. This includes the touring version of the Rockettes Xmas show. This is very upsetting to me. The orchestra was truly special and it is a shame that an employer of this size is charging $50-250 per ticket and using a tape. As far as I know they haven't even reduced their ticket prices to reflect the loss. Sorry to rant, thanks for listening. Kristy

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Radio City Music Hall

Kristy I know what our unions are going through. We have an election next week and our celebrity governor Arnold is trying to stick it to us. Kristy I support you all the way and I love to read your posts!!! Take care Kristy Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by syrasax
    (75 posts)

18 years ago

knorter- This was the year I was going to take my family to NYC for "the show." My girls are 13 and 11 and we had the spare cash but we're not going. You have my support.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

I, too, was very disappointed to hear of the strike and the decision to go ahead with what I heard was "computerized" music. I wouldn't go this year even if I did have the money and the opportunity. Neither will I watch it on cablevision.

Reply To Post

1. by knorter
        (205 posts)

18 years ago

You guys are the best. I went to sleep last night feeling pretty bad and in shock. It was nice to wake up to your support. Kristy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by dudz
          (4 posts)

18 years ago

Kristy, As an AFM member myself, please know that I (we) are all supporting 802. The circumstances are a shame. All the best. Greg

Reply To Post