Saxophone Forum

by perkysquirel
(26 posts)
18 years ago

Are Keilwerths any good?

I am watching this saxophone on ebay and its an Alto for 400 so far and my band instructer says the brand is pretty legit. I want more opinions

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Are Keilwerths any good?

Keilwerth is a German Company, and they are amazing. They have their dissenter, but most agree they are great

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

You only need to read this forum to find the answer to this question! There are several posts by Keilwerth owners who LOVE their horns, myself included. Grover Washington Jr. played Keilwerth. I think the Keilwerth SX-90 is the BEST on the market! Even their ST (Student) models are pretty good.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

I am a JK dissenter, just not a hostile one. I just never played one that I thought was better than the Selmers, Yanis, Yamahas, etc. Doesn't mean I think they suck. Who knows, I'll keep trying a few when I can and maybe find one that works for me. I understand they have quite the loyal following by certain people. Play what you like! :)

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

18 years ago

I played the Shadow model tenor and I really liked it. It doesn't matter what brand you have if it isn't in good playing condition. Be mindful of that. It might take a few bucks to get that alto in shape. I hope it works out for you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by YanagisawA-901
        (312 posts)

18 years ago

keilwerths are very very nice horns.. the ex and sx models i feeeell.. are comperably the same except for some noticable craftmanship differences. BUT! .. i feel that keilwerths are only good for people with large and powerful diaphrams.. which is pretty much essential for any sax playing but keilwerths have a significantly larger bow, and bell.. and they just seem bigger in general.. so u need to fill that horn with air.. but when u do, the sound is amazing.. looking back i sometimes wish i got the ex 90 i tried.. but i still like my yani

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ