Saxophone Forum

by Saxdragon
(22 posts)
18 years ago

Effects for sax

I'm playing with a RnR band with a keyboard player and guitarist who are liberal with their special effects. Sometimes I think I should use some effects to blend in better with their sound. I've been using guitar stomp boxes to add echo, doubling, and chorus effects, but there's got to be something friendlier for wind instruments and PA equipment. Any suggestions...cheaper is better. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Effects for sax

I recommend a Lexicon effects processor, but they are expensive.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

I mainly use reverb only for RnR or sometimes echo if i do Peter gunn and a couple of other Duane Eddy numbers. About 25 years ago i got into the stomp box for saxophone and thought it was great until i did a gig without effects and realised what a difference it made !!! since then i use minimal amount of effectDave

Reply To Post

2. by [email protected]
    (10 posts)

18 years ago

Why not just use the sound of the sax and stop trying to compete - if the other guys are drowning you out ask them to turn the amps down!!!!!!!

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

Easier said then done. You have to punch the drummer to get a reply , nick the batteries from the guitarist stomp boxes and just forget about talking to the bassist !!! The only people that may listen are singers as they have the trouble of hearing themselves. Dave

Reply To Post

1. by [email protected]
        (10 posts)

18 years ago

That's life - but punching drummers is good! Cheers Dave George

2. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

18 years ago

I think for the price, Zoom processors are great. I was helping a friend out with her demo tape and I played piano, tenor, and flute on it. We recorded the firat track as a trio. Drums , bass, and piano, because the drummer was also the guitar player. It was an Isley brothers song called For the Love of You. The the guitar, flute, and sax parts occupied the next three tracks. Being in an 8 track format, that left 4 tracks for the singer to do compilation tracks. We used my Zoom guitar processor in the mix on my tenor part, and an Alesis Midiverb on my flute. those processors are more affordable than the Lexicon. It was a low budget tape and the artist was real happy with it. I donated my parts to her. which is why I will die poor. :) I love to help people.

1. by saxophonik
        (73 posts)

18 years ago

Terry's right. Zoom just introduced a multi-effects guitar pedal a couple months ago called the G2. It's got all-metal casing, 32-bit processing, a ton of amp and effects models, and has litterally no delay when switching patches. It has some of the best modeling tones I've ever heard from a modeler... especially for a $100!! I absolutely love it! I've used it for many applications already. Check out American Musical Supply at www.americanmusical.com. They sell it and they have a pretty good description and review.

Reply To Post