Saxophone Forum

by Roguesqdldr
(1 post)
18 years ago

Looking to buy a student sax for nephew

My nephew wants to join the band and play sax, but his parents won't pay for an instrument. I want to get him a saxaphone for his birthday. He is turning 12. What should I get him, not knowing if he will stick with it, or even if his parents will pay for him to join the band? I don't want to throw $1,000 down the drain. Is there something for a say $300 or so that would even be worth getting?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JZ
    (83 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Looking to buy a student sax

It would probably help if we had more information. Do you live in a big city or rather isolated area, or in-between? Are you willing to travel far to get a good deal, and where might that be? Anything against a used instrument? Alto or tenor? Do you have a friend who plays sax who can check out the instrument? Have you talked to the band director? How many music stores are there in your town? Any problem with online or mail-order type purchases? Anyway, lots of used Selmer Bundy or Yamaha YAS-23 instruments built for students, and can get a good deal as well as resale value on these horns, since many students start the sax, don't stick with it, and the horn goes on the market. Thus: Who can check out a used, How much, Where to buy/ can buy, When, Why we know, and What depends on the other info. This one shouldn't be a tough problem!

Reply To Post

1. by The_§ax
      (147 posts)

18 years ago

I reccomend a Bundy or Bundy II. Great Great student instruments, that are cheap, yet really good!

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

I ditto the Bundy, Bundy II, also vintage Conns--I don't know anything about the new Conns.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

You might find a Bundy for that price. I would also look into one of the Conn director models (pre-1968). Sometimes you can pick them up for under $500 in good condition, and they are really pretty good horns.

Reply To Post Yahoo!