Saxophone Forum

by emazing
(2 posts)
18 years ago

A saxophone beginner...help?

Hey guys. I'm a bit new to the whole saxophone world, so bear with me and my limited knowledge about music..haha. A few months ago, I was sucked into joining my school's marching band by my friends, and considering that I did not know how to play an instrument, I become a member of color guard. During my first few days, I became good friends with one of the 'instrument playing' band individuals, only to discover that he played the most fantastic and gorgeous instrument I had ever laid my eyes on: A bari saxophone. I was instantly mesmerized by its sound, size...everything about it seemed amazing, and at that point it became my obssession to learn how to play such an instrument. After gathering information about it, I decided to start out by learning alto saxophone first just to get the jist of it. About a month ago I found a music shop not too far from me that rented saxophones at a reasonable price, and I rented a Conn for a month to see how I liked it. Ya know, just to see if I could really do it. Sure enough, I kept at it, practicing everywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours everyday. My parents were really impressed, and they decided that it would be more affordable for me to get my own saxophone instead of continously renting one. After doing a lot of research, I noticed that everyone has different opinions and preferences about different brands/kinds of saxophones, so I cannot find a starting point for my search. So I was wondering, can anyone help me with my conundrum by reccomending any saxophones? I haven't had any problems with the Conn, but I'm hoping for something slightly better than a student model, because I'm hoping to keep this instrument for a long time (as I'm not too keen on spending money too often). In addition, it can't be ridiculously expensive either. But generally I'm open to anything, just so I know where to start my search. (And a random tidbit: If they are any nice models that are silver and meet my requirements...those would be awesome. But that's not really a priority, I'm really more about sound.) Thank you so much in advance!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: A saxophone beginner...help?

You don't say anything about a price range. That would be helpful to know if the people here are going to help you.

Reply To Post

1. by The_§ax
      (147 posts)

18 years ago

Maybe keep your eye out for a Buescher 400.

Reply To Post

2. by emazing
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

Oh sorry, I must've omitted that. Uhm, I suppose the lower the better, but something below $600 would be nice. Sorry once again.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

It's hard to find a really nice sax for less than $600. There are some used student models, and a few vintage models that might need a little work in that price range. If you're looking to buy new, I would suggest a Yamaha YAS 62 alto. It's an intermediate-pro model horn with great sound and intonation, and they play very well. They sell for around $1800. You might come across a nice vintage Conn, Buescher, or King that needs pads and some minor repair for around $600.

Reply To Post Yahoo!