Saxophone Forum

by saxman1990
(25 posts)
18 years ago

What's your favorite Chicago saxophone shop?

I don't live in the Chicago area, but plan on visiting there soon and I was wondering if you have a favorite saxophone shop that you feel has the most to offer. I'm looking for some new mouth pieces to try for my tenor and lots of sheet music. Thanks for your suggestions.I

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JZ
    (83 posts)

18 years ago

A Chicago saxophone shop?

Never lived in Chicago, but I liked visiting there. If no other help, I remember on a Sanborn album there was a "Thanks to the guys at The Saxophone Shop" which is located in Skokie near Evanston. If it works for Sanborn, check it out at least. FYI. Don't remember which album... Anyway that was an album that also said thanks to Yamaha for Y Custom, or something. Should double check this, of course.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: What's your favorite Chicago saxophone shop?

Skokie and Evanston are next to each other. I went to high school in Skokie, and college in Evanston. I left there in 1968, so the area has changed a lot. Michael Brecker, Fred Hemke, and I all go to PM Woodwind Repair at 822 Custer Ave. in Evanston. Paul Maslin is the go to guy in Chicago. He also sells horns and accessories, like necks and mouthpieces etc. It is sad that the old stores on Wabash Ave. are gone. I bought my alto and tenor at Sid Sherman Music downtown in 1966. Where does the time go? I've been in LA since 1970, so I really don't know Chicago too well anymore. I hope you can go to Rush street or Oldtown to hear some music. Have fun :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ