Saxophone Forum

by streetSax570
(25 posts)
18 years ago

Stupid t. sax case!

I loathe my tenor saxophone case! Its hard taking it to and from school. Does anyone know a place in Virginia where you can buy a SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SMALL SMALL SMALL SMALL and cheap tenor saxophone case? Much help and advice needed! My arm is about to get dislocated from carrying sax case. Thankyou for your help!, Mook ( [email protected])

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CajunSax
    (76 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Stupid t. sax case!

check out Walt Johnson cases... I have one for Tenor & Bari...and I'm thinking about getting the Alto/Soprano combo case next. These cases are tough and still lightweight...and MUCH better than the Selmer Flight Series cases. His shop is here in SoCal but I know he can ship it. He made my Bari case with wheels for easy carrying...looks kind of like those hard-shell golf travel cases. They run a few hundred, but totally worth it for the value and convenience. i think the site is JohnsonCases.com or something...just google it. hope this helps, -duston www.myspace.com/CajunSax

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Radjammin
      (255 posts)

18 years ago

I think you missed a critical word in his post, Cheap. I own a Walt Johnson case, and where they are top of the line cases, there not cheap. My alto case was $250 6 years ago, and a tenor Walt case right now sells on WWBW for $329. What about SKB? They are a much more reasonable $139. The Gator case on www.wwbw.com goes for $79. Ther's actually 23 different cases ?? on sale on there. @original poster: Just don't buy a soft case. Yuck, I think gig bags are worthless. Why not just store your horn in plastic wrap. It will be safer, well at least cleaner... LOL

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by markseez
    (17 posts)

18 years ago

Simply get a Mt-Vernon tenor case that they sell on this very site. For 95$ you have a reasonnably hard case, as light as they say on the offer at saxquest and it doesn't tell everybody: hey I'm carrying an expensive tenor sax. like the bullet one. I use it for a King super-20 that I take the most care of.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Just carry it around in a paper sack! Good cases tend to be heavy. There are some cases like the Walt Johnson that are smaller and still offer good protection, but they cost some money! Don't sacrifice protection for a lighter case.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxophonik
        (73 posts)

18 years ago

Hey, what about ProTec cases? I have one for both tenor and alto, and they're awesome! Lightweight and safe. I don't think they're much more $ than an SKB... maybe less, if you shop around. My alto came with one already, but I think I only paid about $90-$100 for the tenor case about 5 years ago. Yep, just checked music123.com.... they have ProTec tenor cases for about $116. I'm sure there are other places just about the same $ range, or lower.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonik
          (73 posts)

18 years ago

BTW... I'm not talking about gig bags. These are shaped canvas-covered cases. They might not be as hard as an SKB molded plastic, but my horns take a pretty good beating when traveling, and the ProTec cases haven't failed me.

Reply To Post

2. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

18 years ago

There is nothing wrong with a heavy case. You would be a lot better off with a heavy case with excellent protection, than a lighter case with less protection. I am modifying my 25 year old case, adding extra reinforcements to it, and it is already fairly heavy, heavier than a lot of tenor cases, but at least i can trust it.

Reply To Post

3. by Radjammin
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

Looking at all these post, I now suggest getting a mid size iron safe and add a sholder strap to it. That will keep your sax safe!!! Really guys. Putting your sax in a hard plastic case is fine protection. My walt Johnson could take a fall easy and protect my sax. I agree that Gig bags or any soft exterior case is foolish to put your sax into. I asked, how are the cheaper hard plastic cases like KRB or Gator? They look pretty good on the site but I figured someone should speak up that actually has bought one.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I try to keep my horns in thier original cases as long as the cases are solid and offer enough protection. I have a few horns that are pre- 1930 and a couple even pre-1920 in their original cases. I did buy a new SKB case for my Conn tenor. The original case had been recovered once before. After dragging the sax to school for several years when I was in band in Jr. high and high school, and then college, the original case was pretty well destroyed! . I've been very satisfied with the SKB case. It is fairly light-weight, yet big enough to hold some of my accessories. It cost around $100. I definately would not recommend a gig bag, and I don't care much for the Pro-tech cases either; they're only slightly better than a gig bag!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by saxophonik
          (73 posts)

18 years ago

I used to be a little leary of ProTec cases, as well, but, like I said before, my current alto came in one. Just a brief story about why I think they're sufficient: One day I had my alto sitting next to a podium as I was setting up. Someone accidentally bumped into it, and to my horror, the top wasn't nailed down to the base!! It fell directly on top of my case about where the 'A' key is on the body! (I know this because I was actually walking over to grab the horn and was looking right at it when it fell). I opened the case hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. The case held up beautifully! No dents, dings, or even any scratches! Just a slight mark on the case itself, which has since worn away. Now, I'm not saying that these are the best cases around, but, from my experience, I'm going to keep using them. It's possible that I may have a fluke case, where it's made stonger than the rest, but I doubt it. But, I don't think I'm going to experiment with my tenor case using a similar scenario, though.... ;) The only negative thing I can say about them is the fact you have to get a seperate accessory case for your mpc., reeds, tools, etc.

Reply To Post