Saxophone Forum

by Gooshbanshee
(24 posts)
18 years ago

Selmer Ref.54 model 74 Vs keliworth shadow

well, im finally looking in to getting my own saxophone because the yamaha yts-54 isnt cutting it. For a while now ive been thinking about the ref.54, a beautiful,complex saxophone, but when i looked at some of the reviews i thought i should look around a little more , and thats when the shadow caught my eye. this saxophone had better ratings and was a top seller on a couple sites..i thought maybe ill just go with the shadow, but then i noticed on a different site the ref got better reviews and was also a top seller...so cunfusing.....soo now i thought i should go here and see what other people think Thanks, Troy

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Selmer Ref.54 model 74 Vs keliworth shadow

They are two completely different horns; apples vs. oranges! Both are good horns. The only thing they have in common is that they are both very expensive. Personally, I like the sound of the Keilwerth shadow over the Ref. 54. Play both, and buy the one that you like best!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

18 years ago

my director always told me to play many saxophones before making a decision on which one to get. i ended up with the selmer ref, because i found one for a good price which i loved the sound of. also, don't forget about the other, less expensive saxophones out there! good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

Hi karebear glad to hear you got such a nice horn !!!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by wvujazzman
      (48 posts)

18 years ago

Troy, You really need to try both horns. They have a completely different feel from each other. I've played both, and personally... I didn't care for the Shadow. If I was getting a new horn and those two were my choices, I'd go with the Ref. BUT... it would be a mistake for you to make that decision based solely on what anyone says here. You need to play the horns for yourself. Either horn is a fine instrument, and should give you years of service. Eric

Reply To Post