Saxophone Forum

by ddeg10
(4 posts)
18 years ago

Selmer La Voix Opinions? Getting a new Tenor...under $2k

I am getting a new Tenor Saxophone in the next few months and Have less than $2000 to spend. The horns I've come across so far (that I can afford) are the "Cannonball Raven," "Jupiter Artist Series," and the "Selmer La Voix." Out of the 3, the Selmer seems to be the best 'bang for the buck.' After all, it IS a Selmer and I wouldn't expect a horn that falls apart to be made by Selmer. I have been playing on a Beginner model "Armstrong" Tenor Saxophone for 7 years and have recently joined a band that does a variety of 60s-70s rock and blues. I feel I have grown out of the Armstrong and need to finally step up to a higher quality instrument. Would the Selmer be a good choice? I have also heard horror stories about a lot of inconsistent companies making horns that don't necessarily hold up or stay in tune. Should I bring a professional Sax player with me to the store when I go out to shop for one? Thanks for any help- Derek

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Selmer La Voix Opinions? Getting a new Tenor...under $2k

ddeg10 wrote "Out of the 3, the Selmer seems to be the best 'bang for the buck.' After all, it IS a Selmer and I wouldn't expect a horn that falls apart to be made by Selmer." To clarify: The La Voix is marketed by Selmer USA, NOT the Legendary Henri Selmer/Paris. The two, although affiliated are not the same thing. Additionally, the horns is manufactured in Taiwan (It is widely reported that they are made by the same company that makes the Antigua Winds line) and stenciled with Selmer USA as an intermediate line of horns. You can get a better, truely pro horn by looking at the many vintage horns available in that price range, or you might be able to squeeze the cost of a new Yamaha YTS62II into your budget.

Reply To Post

2. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

I have no personal opinion on those saxes (see the previous reply), but I think you'll be happier if you can stretch your budget (or save up for it) a little more. You should also look into how much you could get for your Armstrong, either selling it yourself or as a trade-in. I just upgraded to a new YTS-82Z for $2700+tax, in an area where there isn't a whole lot of competition (SFBay). Part of how I made it work was trading in my YTS-23, which I had bought at the same store a year ago...

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

Wouldn't hurt to take someone with you, but be sure he/she understands your budget limitations, and won't be too negative.

Reply To Post