Saxophone Forum

by KitKat70
(8 posts)
18 years ago

HELP!!! What Year was it made in? What's the engraving?

I know its an Eb C. G. Conn. The model number stamping reads as follows:... Patented Dec. 3, 1914 ... 1119954 ... -------- for (can't make out the word before for) ... A ... M261234A ... I or J (not sure) ... Can anyone figure this out? Please.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: HELP!!! What Year was it made in? What's the engraving?

That would be a 1934 Conn. The Patent date is for the rolled tone holes. The A stands for Alto. M 261234 is the serial number, and the I or J is probably an L, which indicates that this is a low pitch saxophone (A=440) which is the pitch standard used today. This would be one of the first 6M saxophones. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by KitKat70
      (8 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks a bunch. I've been asking around. I sent an e-mail to a collector i found online and another e-mail to this guy on ebay that seems to know a lot about them. I want to learn as much as i can about my sax. Thanks again. One more question though by any chance would you be able to tell by the info I gave whether this would be one of the "Naked Ladies"? It has a leafy design over a scroll that reads "MADE BY C.G. CONN USA" which is above a pentagon with a ladies bust in it. I've taken it to music stores and they've placed it much later (around 1969) and told me that it wasn't but they also said that they've never actually seen a sax like mine before which is why i'm asking so many people.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Yes, your saxophone would be considered a Naked Lady. Conn used that engraving through 1959. Yours is a pro model horn. The confusion about the year is due to the fact that there is an M in the serial number. Conn used the letter M to identify saxophone. On the New Wonder Series II and early M series horns, the M was present in the serial number. Then, Conn dropped the M and continued the same number sequence. Later in 1963, Conn started using a letter prefix, starting with the letter C, and began a new series of numbers. They started with C because A was used to identify alto, and B was used to identify baritone. Apparently they had forgotten that at one time they built C melody saxophones also. M was the prefix letter used for 1969. The later models would not have the lady engraving. They would not have Conn's patent date either. Yours is definately a 1934 6M alto, and probably one of the first 6M's made. It's considerably more valuable than a 1969 model! Hang onto that one! Many collectors would love to own it! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by KitKat70
          (8 posts)

18 years ago

Then I guess you'd be wow'd to find out i picked it up for about $170.00 about 5 years ago. I'm going to have to print all this out. I'm impressed by your knowledge. I appreciate you taking your time to tell me all this.

Reply To Post

2. by KitKat70
          (8 posts)

18 years ago

By any chance is there a way for me to find out whether its silver or nickle plated? I tried looking up all this info online but the number charts were so confusing. I don't remember reading about the patent date stamp thing you said though, but then again i didn't really read everything my mind was spinning too fast to pick it all up.

Reply To Post

3. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Just clean part of the body with a silver cleaner and if the rag turns black its silver plated , if it just goes brownish then thats just the grim and its nickel plated Dave

Reply To Post

4. by KitKat70
          (8 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks. This is my last question I promise. How much is it worth?

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Hi KitKat, Most likely your sax is silver plate. Silver was the most common back in those days. There were very few nickel 6M's. You certainly got a bargain at $170! A 6M of that vintage is quite valuable. It is a collector's horn. I've seen many in good condition sell for more than $2000. People ask me how I learned so much about Conn. I guess I was inspired by my uncle, who also has quite a collection of saxophones that are mostly Conn. I've played the same Conn 10M tenor for over 20 years. About 8 years ago, I started collecting musical instruments as a hobby. Not just saxophones, but also guitars and amplifiers, a few Hammond organs and Leslie speakers. I began researching the Conn company after I bought my third Conn saxophone. I did a research paper on Conn for a college class that I was taking. The more I read about the company, the more I wanted to learn. Because I was buying so many old musical instruments in need of repair, I made friends with the tech who was repairing my horns. I've learned a lot from him, and he taught me how to do many of the repairs myself. I started assisting him with repairs in his shop as a hobby. Many customers would bring older horns into the shop needing repairs. Usually they needed to be repadded, and sometimes a complete overhaul. Still they were nice horns and well worth putting the money into. If the customer didn't want to spend the money for repairs, we would offer to buy their horn. Depending on the horn, we would usually offer anywhere from $50-$100. Actually, most customers were happy to get that much out of them. They had already decided that they didn't want to put that much money into their horn, and were probably just going to put it out for the garbage when they got home! Many would even come back with other instruments they found at home and wanted to sell. It was a great opportunity for me to build up my collection. It also gave me the opportunity to try many different saxophones. I've learned a lot through Saxquest also. Many people have asked questions about horns that I could not answer, but thanks to cable internet, google, and my own curiosity, I was able to find the answers. I welcome all questions, so feel free to ask as many as you like! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by KitKat70
          (8 posts)

18 years ago

I knew i was gettin real deal when i got it. I think I spent another $100 on it to have it cleaned and repadded/corked and i think they made a few other minor adjustments. Unfurtunately I'm not a sax player. I actually played trombone for seven years (my 10 yr. old brother now plays it) through elementary and high school and i've always been interested in musical instruments. I tried to learn to play clarinet in high school unfurtunately it was an afterschool program and ended up getting cancelled so i only learned a whole 3 fingerings (which i can't remember now) and i also started to take piano class my senior year but that was cut short also because i had to have my class schedule changed and alas piano wasn't available during my new free class period. However i can read both treble and bass cleff sheet music. I doubt it would be that diffucult to learn to play this wonderful instrument but at this point in time I'm young and have many demands on my time. I plan to get back into music eventually. My boyfriend of 4 years is big into music too. However he's more into the digital side of things. He aspires to big a big name producer/engineer (depending on where life takes him) in the hip-hop/R&b genres. So in our own ways we both appreciate the hard work and creativity that makes good music. I know most people say life doesn't slow down as you get older but I plan to make it when i finally get to where i want to be so i can finally take the time to enjoy the things that inspire me and mean the most to me. Thanks sooo much for all the information you've given me it's been really helpful.

Reply To Post

7. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

"Just clean part of the body with a silver cleaner and if the rag turns black its silver plated , if it just goes brownish then thats just the grim and its nickel plated Dave" that, and silver will be VERY WHITE, where as anything else will look darker/purple. 6m's are awesome horns! and that's a awesome price!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

8. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Life's too short to wait to do things you enjoy. Use the saxophone as your recreation, and you can enjoy it now.

Reply To Post