Saxophone Forum

by Radjammin
(255 posts)
18 years ago

Questions about preping a horn for sale

I am getting ready to sell my 1949 Conn 6M Pro "Naked Lady" Conn and wanted some help on the matter. First I know I won't get that much for it, well at least as much as I think it is worth. I will sell it with a really nice Walt Johnson case I special ordered to match the horn so it fits like a glove. The horn has about 10% lacquer left on it, like the neck has no visable laquer on it other then between the underslung octive key. Truthfully I tend to keep the horn dirty, I get green spots on it where the brass oxidies. What's the best thing to use on the body to clean it. The rods are all worn too, should I use something else to clean them? I do keep the playing condition of it up, I usually take it to the shop to get the low end and the G# area worked on about once a year. What I don't pay for is to get it cleaned. If you can recommend something or if you just suggest to get it cleaned by a pro that's fine to. I really need to spend less then $60 on it to prep it for sale. I wish there was a way that people could understand how good a player this horn is, even though it looks like junk. Ebay isn't very friendly to things that don't "look" nice. I have a recording of myself playing it, I have thought about posting a link for people to listen to. I only fear a beginner doesn't think they will auto sound like that, I have been playing for 18 years. (started when I was 10) This horn helps, but it's not a miracle worker. Also I could see some dumb band teacher telling a parent they got ripped off. Do you think I would get 800 for it? I paid 600 for the horn and the case was $250 brand new. Why am I selling it? Wanta buy a better Trumpet. Looking for a good vintage horn to tide me over until I can buy one of new Conn or a Bach. My secondary is Trumpet, I have been needing to upgrade it for a while.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. No replies yet. Be the first!