Saxophone Forum

by gabocow
(2 posts)
18 years ago

Tone

Hey, all I've noticed a lot of use of words like "bright" and "warm" tones in describing saxes, and though I know this is very subjective, would anyone care to give me a better definition of what a "bright" tone is as opposed to a "warm" tone on alto? What artists tend to have these kinds of tones? Lemme know what you think

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Tone

Bright: bright?? thats a great adjective to describe it right there.. its bright, its alive.. full of color.. has great cutting ability (can be heard thru any setting at any time).. seemingly polyphonic.. Dark: round, lush, sonorous, full, rich, thick, resounding.. warrrmmmm.. people with dark tones tend to use a great amount of hot, moist air from the very bottom of thier lungs.. people with bright tones tend to use a less moist warm air.. but still support from thier diaphram..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Alto is a smaller horn and sounds better with less brilliance. Tenor involves a little more rip. i roll with a 7 mouthpiece on tenor, and 5 on alto, Fred Hemke and Cannonball Adderley are the best alto players that i've heard live.

1. by knorter
      (205 posts)

18 years ago

I completely agree with Terry. The range of the alto already creates brightness and if the music is written well for jazz band anyone should be able to carry over a sax section without buying a dukoff or other extreme mouthpiece. Altos should play with a darker sound like Cannonball. Nobody likes to hear a shrill alto. They remind me of mosquitos buzzing in your ear. I would never play a metal mouthpiece on an alto unless I was in a rock band or other extreme situation.