Saxophone Forum

by cquirk
(5 posts)
18 years ago

New here - returning to sax

Hello, I'm a new member here who is anxious to return to the alto sax. I played in a little middle school jazz band as the soloist, and the solo flute as well the same year (busy year!). Now almost 18 yrs later I'm weary of fantisizing about returning to music and have decided to buy myself a beginner model alto for Christmas. Somehow I'll fit lessons into my busy schedule, but it should be well worth it!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: New here - returning to sax

welcome back! what kind of sax are you gettin to start back on?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by cquirk
      (5 posts)

18 years ago

I'm in the process of trying to figure that out. Saxquest suggested the good student models, but "new" they are the same cost as some used professionals at their store (over which I'm drooling at the thought of). Looking at reality of cost vs conditions of the used student models I've seen, I'm not sure which direction to go yet. I wanted to spend under $500 just to start, to have something for lessons and to play at home till I get my groove back. Need more time to visit local dealers in person.

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
        (300 posts)

18 years ago

Here in the S.F. Bay area I've been seeing used (but apparently not so old as to need work) YAS-23s being offered for under $500 on Craig's List...

Reply To Post

2. by thewoodswind
      (5 posts)

18 years ago

lol, you should start with the alto sax, then move to different saxes as your skill level increases, because to be quite frank, the alto sax is the EASIEST.

Reply To Post

1. by cquirk
        (5 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks. I played an alto Bundy in jazz band 18 yrs ago...plan to stick with an alto; getting a lot of suggestions for Yamaha student or intermediate models.

Reply To Post