Saxophone Forum

by lstevenson
(3 posts)
18 years ago

57 year old starting the sax...neck question

Hello! I've been playing since September 2005 - and loving every minute of it. I started on a Vito tenor but am very intrigued by vintage horns. How do you know that the vintage horn you've purchased has its original neck? Also, how do you know which mouthpiece is best for you without having to try (buy) every single one you try? Thank you!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sk8aman92
    (7 posts)

18 years ago

Re: 57 year old starting the sax...neck question

I have no idea:-P.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Radjammin
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

concerning the MPC - buy a C* S-80 Play it until you want something else. You can go off people's suggestion, but measure the suggestion to weather you want to sound like that player. If you do, then get his setup. It's not going to turn junk into gold, but it's a start. The C* might be more then you want to play for a MPC (80+ used) but it's worth every penny. Unless you break it (like chip the facing) it should last forever. Even if you don't like it you won't loose that much if you go to sell it. If your playing on what came with yoru vito, I doubt you will be upset with the purchace. Playing on your first professional mouthpiece is definatly an experience you will never forget. concerning the Neck - Does it really matter? I guess you could make sure the finish matches, but with my 1949 Conn, the neck has no laquer left on it, so that might throw you. Maybe a better suggestion would be to look up vintage photo of the horn in question and compare. If it's a tenor, it has a higher chance of being not the orginial, they tend to get damaged beyond replair more often. Overall, to most players it doesn't matter unless the nech isn't even the same model. Then you might have problems selling it to a experienced player. I guess everyone 's wondering, why your askin?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by lstevenson
      (3 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you for the MPC suggestion. I am asking about the neck because I had read (but do not know) that the neck can alter the sound a sax produces. I had purchased a vintage tenor sax...just love the sound... I am such a "newbie" - just wanted to know more about what I purchased (and didn't think to ask when I did). I am completely satisfied - just very curious. I will learn more about the player's setup, practice, and then dream about sounding like him! Thank you for your suggestion.

Reply To Post

1. by Radjammin
        (255 posts)

18 years ago

Changing necks isn't really a beginners thing to do. I would first find a MPC and Lig setup you were completely satisfied with, maybe one for lgeit and jazz, before you ever thought about changing the neck. Also you need to check the saxes mechnics and make sure they are easily interchangeable with a more stock neck. Some designs don't lend themselves to replacement. I would definatly wait on replacing the neck unless it is damaged beyond repair. For just sound, work on your MPC and LIG setup first, then if you are completely happy go shop for a new tenor neck. They will probaby be around $400 new. I personally think it's a bad idea, because the neck designer didn't design the rest of the horn, how can you be sure he was thinking of your manufacture when he made it. Like any industry, they will design for their most likly buyer. More popular saxes are Keithworth, Selmer, Yani, and Yamaha. An aftermarket neck wouuld probably fit though horns better. My horn, a black nickel alto cannonball came with 2 necks. Silver and Black Nickel. Silver tends to be warmer, and yes this can be true able this neck.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by lstevenson
          (3 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you - will do as you suggest...Linda

Reply To Post