Saxophone Forum

by sgtmary
(3 posts)
18 years ago

CG Conn alto help

Hello all, I did a google search on my sax and found this sight. I, too, am looking into the year of my alto. the number on it is: 1119954; A; M212486; L The neck piece is: No 1308905. Any help on dating this instrument would be great. It's a family heirloom, and I would really appreciate the help. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: CG Conn alto help

That would be a 1928 Conn New Wonder Series II, also known as a Chu Berry model. It's a great horn. The rolled tone holes give it a very warm, lush tone. Many collectors love these horns and they are quite valuable. Is it silver plated? Most were silver.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by sgtmary
      (3 posts)

18 years ago

I think it is silver plated, but I am not sure. I took it to a music store some time ago to see how much it would cost to get it cleaned up, and they said it would cost more than what it was worth. Would it be a good idea to clean it up myself or send it somewhere? The condition really is not too bad, it just has some dirt and grime in the nooks and crannies. Thanks so much for your help, I have been looking all over the web on info on it for a while now.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Most music stores would have no idea what it's really worth. Most don't even do their own repairs; they send them out. They usually try to sell you a new Selmer or Yamaha, or some cheap student model Taiwanese horn rather than repair an instrument that's more than 10 years old. Silver was the most common finish on these horns. Most were satin silver with a gold washed bell. The silver is fairly easy to clean. Tarn-X does a good job, but it is an acid and needs to be rinsed off with warm water. Water can damage the pads, so I wouldn't recommend cleaning with Tarn-X unless you intend to replace the pads also. The ideal way to clean the horn would be to remove the keys, and then use a tooth brush or a small paint brush to get into the nooks and crannies. If you had the instrument repadded, I would ask the repair tech if you can come and pick up the horn once they have removed all the keys to clean and polish both the body and the keys. Wrights silver cream is a great polish. I have restored many horns like yours. The silver is beautiful when it's cleaned and polished and attracts a lot of attention. The silver finish also gives the horn a brighter, warmer sound than lacquer. Your saxophone was made in 1928, which was one of the best years for that particular model. The average price for such a horn in playable condition is $2000. They are quite valuable and favored by many collectors. As long as the action is free and not damaged, and there is no damage to the body or the tone holes, the saxophone shouldn't cost too much to have repaired. New pads and corks usually run about $375-$400 installed.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by sgtmary
          (3 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you so much for your help. I will be saving up my spare change so I can get it looking like new again. It does play really well. When I play it in the basement of our ranch house, the music fills all of the rooms with such a powerful and beautiful sound. I hope my kids will appreciate it as much as I do. Thanks again for your help. Have a great new year!

Reply To Post

2. by Doc Frazier
        (4 posts)

18 years ago

sgtmary, I can do the repairs and HAND polishing for you as my shop specializes in the vintage horns. very reasonable. Doc [email protected]

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Where are you located, Doc?

Reply To Post

1. by Doc Frazier
            (4 posts)

18 years ago

Shreveport, Louisiana

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
              (964 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks--I'm in Minnesota, a little far for a saxophone road trip!

Reply To Post