Saxophone Forum

by jbroad572
(46 posts)
18 years ago

Good crowd pleaser songs to memorize and learn?

I have family coming in a few months and everyone I know will be wanting me to play something, but the thing is I don't have many songs memorized. I've been practicing scales, long tones, arpeggios, and church music. I know Misty and Breath of Heaven and that's about it. I know people will see my saxes and say "play us a tune or 2" SO, I want to be prepared. What are some good songs to get into my mental library that will impress people?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Mactenor
    (102 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Good crowd pleaser songs to memorize and learn?

The Shadow of Your Smile Moomlight in Vermont Harlem Nocturne Desifinado Best Regards Mactenor

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

18 years ago

yup, got harlem nocturne in my memory banks, I learned it from a compy of the original composition.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Tequila, Yakety Sax, Girl From Impanema, The Pink Panther Theme...just a few more suggestions. I can't even take my sax out of the case without someone asking for the first two!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

18 years ago

Are you asking in terms of actual jazz tunes? Like songs other players would expect you to know at gigs?

Reply To Post

2. by martysax
          (148 posts)

18 years ago

Four, As time goes by, YardBird suite, Pick up the pieces. Those are the warm-ups.

Reply To Post

3. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

What do they know? What do they expect to hear? My favorites are not your families' favorites. I don't believe we are the right ones to answer your question.

Reply To Post

2. by burns3c
        (7 posts)

18 years ago

Gimme some lovin', When sunny gets blue, Watermellon man, Lover Man, there's so many....

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

18 years ago

When Sunny Gets Blue is my second favorite ballad...good song, but no one knows it. I'd say 1 out of 100 pros would know that melody, let alone the changes.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Take Five is a good one for alto. There aren't too many songs in 5/4 time, which makes it a really fun song to play. It's not too hard either. What do you play? Tenor or alto?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by jbroad572
              (46 posts)

18 years ago

I play them both. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. This gives me something to work on. Plus, I'll probably transcribe a few Motown hits, which I know they will love as well.

Reply To Post