Saxophone Forum

by Mark30001
(3 posts)
18 years ago

What Saxophone Sounds Similar to these clips?

Greetings everyone! This is my first time around here, and I hope you guys are able to help me. There are some songs from the video game, Sonic Adventure, which have a particular saxophone instrument used. I have tried contacting the main composer and failed, so I came to ask you all here at a saxophone forum. What kind of instrument do you all suggest was used for these songs (Alto, Tenor, Baritone), and what is a type of saxophone mouthpiece that could give off the same or similar sound when blown? I would love to play such tunes on my saxophone, but since they definitely sound different from a regular saxophone or alternate mouthpiece, I came to the conclusion that a certain mouthpiece was used. Here is the URL where the songs are located: esnips.com/web/Mark30001sMusic The songs are labeled as: SHELTER2.mp3 REDMNTN1.mp3 OPTION.mp3 ICECAP3.mp3 CHAOGOAL.mp3 All with the same saxophone instrument with mouthpiece used. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Cheers, Lorenzo

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax_Shark
    (134 posts)

18 years ago

Re: What Saxophone Sounds Similar to these clips?

To me, it sounds like a bari with an odd mpc that I couldn't even begin to id. Then again, it could be a tenor or a tenor and alto in unison. However, you would have to keep in mind that it could be one of those pansy electric saxes. As you can tell, id.ing instruments in a video game is difficult. A lot of times, they just use some obscure thing or way of using it. Unless its life and death, I would abandon your attempt. But, its your time. Good luck.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Lorenzo, I think that was done with keyboard samples. The sax is a tenor. The trouble with keyboards is that saxophone samples sound good in the middle range, but weird in the high and low. That bass and brass sounds really familiar. If you want to get sounds simiilar to that on your saxophone, you need a good effects processor, and sweepable band EQ. You need a good unidirectional microphone, an effects precessor, and a mixer with sweepable band EQ. Use the mouthpiece with which you are famliar. Don't use a bass clarinet mouthpiece, or you'll never hear the last of it !!!!!!!!! Just KIDDING. Your other alternative is to get a nice keyboard, and I recommend Roland. You could sequence all the other parts and play your sax with it. You would need a drum machine too. If you record your saxophone, play your part dry and add the effects in the mix. If you're going to play live, it's microphone to effects processor in. Effects processor out to PA system. Have fun :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

18 years ago

well, I definitely can't disagree with your game choice, as I beat the original three side-scrollers. About the sax, the first one sounds like a bari w/ a crazy piece on it, the others sound like tenor. What I would do is just listen to it over and over again and play it by ear. This of which I have done w/ the mario theme, legend of zelda, etc. If you're looking for a good sax trio for the mario theme, I have something on a MUS. (Finale Music's Printmusic 2004) that I can turn into a PDF and e-mail to you, free, if you would like.

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

That sounds like a Yamaha wind controller played through a VL 70 tone generator. It's not a real saxophone. It's a midi-sax

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Sax_Shark
      (134 posts)

18 years ago

Ewwww...

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
        (323 posts)

18 years ago

hahaha terry true you wont here the end of the b clar mouthpiece story haha o well shows what you get trying to be nice btw do you have the roland fantom x? Im looking to get one but I dont know they seem good. any recomendations is it worth the extra money for a 76 or 88 key

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

The phantom is excellent. I use a 76, because I need a little more elbow room for my style. I don't have a phantom, but I have played it. I have two roland keyboards, sound module, and drum machine. I use a two tier stand with the lower for bass, and the top for treble. With the phantom you will have a sequencer, 128 patches, and a sampler. I think that you'll be fine with the 61. as all the capabilities are the same as the 76 and the 88. Tear it up dude !!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I used to have a Yamaha VL 70 and wind controller. They sound pretty cool for some things. Ironically, I thought that all of the horn samples sounded pretty good EXCEPT the saxophones! Maybe because I am a sax player. For a long time, I used two 61 key keyboards on a two tier stand. I used a Yamaha S-30 and a Roland VK 7. The VK 7 is a digital organ and has one of the best vintage tonewheel sounds of any keyboard I have ever played. The S-30 has some really nice piano sounds; especially with the acoustic expansion board. For the last couple years now, I have played a Yamaha Motif 7 (76 keys) and the Yamaha S-30. The S-30 has the same tone generator as the S-80, but less keys. I find 88 key boards a little too big and cumbersome for most stages. Using two keyboards on a two tier stand opens up a lot of possibilities. I can jump back and forth between piano and organ, or other instrument sounds, like horn sections, etc. On some songs where I am playing horn lines or string parts along with piano or organ parts, 2 keyboards are essential. Even some of the cheaper keyboards by Yamaha, like their PSR 550, and the 76 key DGX 300 have some really nice sounds!

Reply To Post Yahoo!