Saxophone Forum

by Tubby_Man
(48 posts)
18 years ago

Help, I cant play the right notes!

Help! What ever I do every time I try to play a note from the middle register is comes out as the high register. My ombisher is good but whatever I do I just can't get the roght notes.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jillybean_altosax
    (10 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Help, I cant play the right notes!

your octave key obviously has a problem. I would be able to figure it out with out looking it over. So i suggest taking it to a repair shop, and seeing what they think. Goodluck!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Most likely you have a leak somewhere; probably your octave key like Jill said. Take your sax in and have a tech take a look at it. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

Also, keep in mind that there are two tone holes for the octave key, either one could be the culprit (or the keywork so that both are. Sometimes, if you put the neck on too far to the right or the left, it will cause the top octave key to stay open.

Reply To Post

1. by Tubby_Man
          (48 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for your comments. I thaught there must be something wrong with it (seeing as I could do it all fine at the start). The only thing is that my teacher had a go and said it was fine. Wierd

Reply To Post

2. by Tubby_Man
          (48 posts)

18 years ago

Should my teacher be able to tell if there is a leak (would his playing be affected) , or would he just be able to still play it fine because he's a proffessional? Also, Can you tell if theres a leak by looking, or does the sax have to be taken to a reparer?

Reply To Post

3. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

If your teacher has no problem with it, it could be in your technique. If your embouchure is just a little tight, the notes can come out in the higher octave, especially if you're nervous! If you're holding no keys down at all (C#), does that note come out okay? Try working chromatically down from there and see where you have the most problem. Relax. Play long and slow. It will come with experience. On the other hand, sometimes people who are used to working with horns that need a little work can get around the leaks. Did your teacher use a different mouthpiece? Maybe your reed is on crooked or isn't the right strength.

Reply To Post

4. by Tubby_Man
          (48 posts)

18 years ago

My teacher used the same mouthpiece, but he is used to playing a soprano. I havent tryed C# yet but middle C comes out ok . It's A and downwards thats the problem. It may be my ombishere because last week me sax teacher said my ombisher is too slack, so he made me change it so it's tighter. Maybe i'm just over doing it as i'm not used to the new technique and iv'e only been playing for a month!

Reply To Post

5. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Relax, then, and keep working. It will come! :-)

Reply To Post

6. by Tsaxkid
          (29 posts)

18 years ago

I used to have this problem when I first started. It was because I was using size 2 reeds instead of 2.5. Another student who I used to play sax with had this problem but it was because the octave key was leaking. I would try a stronger reed and check the saxophone for leaks.

Reply To Post

7. by Tubby_Man
          (48 posts)

18 years ago

I made a new discovery. When I push down on the bit on the neck (that opens when the octave key is pressed) as I play, all the notes come out fine. Does this mean it's likely theres a leak?

Reply To Post

8. by JZ
          (83 posts)

18 years ago

the right notes!

Of course, we tend to assume that there is only one problem with the horn, e.g., a single pad leaking. There could be a number of things wrong or in need of attention. Perhaps all of the left palm keys (viz., D-F) are pretty crusty. A repair shop guy will gladly take a look at the horn for free, give an estimate, and even plan repairs for within your budget. Don't hesitate to take it to someone. Also you might just have to shop around for a good repairman/person [person ! , right?] and this sounds like a good opportunity. And then you find that your "skill level" dramatically increases once you get the horn back. So yea, sounds like there is a mechanical problem with the horn, and you have to take it to someone.

Reply To Post

9. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

18 years ago

Re: the right notes!

I had your problem as soon as I pulled out my new Guardala...no low notes. I wouldn't recomend this, but i bent the 8ve key on the neck downwards a bit and shes been playing great for the past 3 years. But still, have it checked by a pro. Sean

Reply To Post

10. by Tubby_Man
          (48 posts)

18 years ago

It's solved! my teacher bent the valve key on the neck a tainy bit and now it's fine! The sax needs to go back for repair anyway because the bell is a little wobbly. Oh Sweet Irony!

Reply To Post

11. by Seano
          (132 posts)

18 years ago

Exactly what I did! Good thing you got your teacher to do it though. Good Job :-) Sean

Reply To Post