Saxophone Forum

by bibbage
(22 posts)
18 years ago

slurring between A and D, help please

Hi, When I slur from A to D most of the time the D sounds like a squawking chicken, if I tongue the D it's ok. I have been playing for nearly a year and I think that I am putting too much pressure on the reed, I have made my lips sore in the past. My setup is: YAS62, 4c Mpc, Rovner Lig and 2.5 Vandoren reed. Any advice would be appreciated on what I may be doing wrong and how to relax my grip on the reed. Cheers Bibbage

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

18 years ago

Re: slurring between A and D, help please

Part of that could be the mouthpiece...a Yamaha plastic mouthpiece isn't going to be very responsive. Also, this is a hard jump on Yamaha horns...I used to play an 875. It's just that pad on the bottom of the top stack, I don't like how that was done. There's not a whole lot you can do to make that easier, maybe try a very light tounge so it sounds like a slur. Just don't move your jaw or anything like that.

Reply To Post

1. by knorter
      (205 posts)

18 years ago

Bibbage, Could you be more specific? Are you slurring from middle A (1st and second fingers on left hand) down to low D or from middle A up to D with the octave key and all 6 fingers or from high A down to Middle D. All of these would indicate different issues with either you and/or your horn. This will help us be more specific with our answers. Kristy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

18 years ago

Taking into account the horn, I would wager it's the high A to middle D.

Reply To Post

1. by bibbage
          (22 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry for not being specific, it's middle A up to D with the octave key and all 6 fingers. Thanks

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

Sounds like Harlem Nocturne to me. That is a tough jump. Try playing low D to high D and back down to low D in triplets. DAC DAC DCA DCA D. Also play DADADADAD up and down the horn. I think it's a case of fingering, You must close and open the keys simultaneously. Including the octave key. You will develop a touch for it. Hang in there :)

1. by bibbage
          (22 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks all for the advice, but one more question, would these be good mouthpieces for me at my stage of learning: Selmer Super 80 C** Ebonite or Otto Link Tone Edge 8* Ebonite. Your thoughts please

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
            (421 posts)

18 years ago

Easiest solution until you master the horn is to go from A to palm key D without the octave key,this will give you D2 instead of D3 Dave

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
              (600 posts)

18 years ago

Yeah, but on a Yamaha you need to hit the Eb palm key and no octave, and that makes a middle D that's better in tune. IMO, that doesn't sound half as good as all 6 down with the octave. If you're learning jazz, get the Tone Edge, but get a 6*. If it's classical you're talking about, yeah, an S-80 works alright on alto.

Reply To Post

2. by knorter
              (205 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks Golferguy you said it before I could. Using palm keys are not a good idea except for difficult technical passages or perhaps some wierd trill situations. In those cases using just Eb palm without the octave key on most horns is better for intonation. The tone just doesn't sound good. I really wouldn't advise using this as a solution to this particular problem. Bibbage- While certain horns are trickier than others, I suspect your problem is actually about your tongue position, and focus of your vocal chords. I think you are over shooting the D and actually getting an upper partial of the overtone series. Ideally when playing an A and then slurring up to a middle D you shouldn't have to change much just let the octave key do the work. An exercise for this would be to play low G (1,2, and 3rd fingers of the left hand, no octave key) Really try to get a deep full sound. Once you have a good strong sound, slur from G to G# and back. Try to maintain the focus of the G just let your fingers make the change. Your tongue should feel lower in your mouth like saying Aah or O and your vocal chords should be in a lower position as if you were trying to sing a low note. Then slur from G to A and back. Again just focus on that G and let the horn do the work. As you could probably guess, from here you continue slurring G to Bb and back, then G to B and back, G to C and so on. You are building your ability to slur into bigger and bigger intervals. Because middle D involves a different resistence it is harder to get this note smoothly if your focus isn't just right. The other notes you can still get to speak even if everything isn't perfect. The D won't let you get away with inconsistancies in your embouchere or vocal chords. The interval isn't as far as you think. In other words think low when you're trying to play that D. Also, as was stated in another post if your fingers don't arrive at the same time this could also be the culprit. Hold the first note of this exercise until you are ready to move to the next not only in focus but also that all your fingers are ready. Take your time, this isn't a speed exercise. You are looking for the perfect feel when playing each note, the sweet spot. This is similar to brass warmup exercises, they are looking for the feel of the interval. Good Luck Kristy

3. by bibbage
              (22 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you for all the advice, very helpful. Bib

Reply To Post

4. by saxs_make_it_happen
              (42 posts)

18 years ago

I know what ur talking about bib I've done it before and to prevent it, I simply dropped the jaw a litlle bit when going to middle D. This helped playing it easier and bringing it more in tune because my Yamaha middle D was ALWAYS really sharp.

Reply To Post Yahoo!