Saxophone Forum

by JZ
(83 posts)
18 years ago

Original prices of classics

There has been much discussion of prices of horns, e.g., recent Selmers are overpriced, and some things are too cheap to be believed. I would like to know/ start a discussion re how much these horns originally sold for. For example, How much did the Selmer Mark IV alto cost back in the late 1950s? $199.95 or something equally insane? You hear terms like Chu Berry [?] or Cigar Cutter, etc., but how much did these things cost back -- during the Great Depression or whenever? "Mr Sax's latest invention, the sax-o-phone, is an interesting novelty, but it is certainly not worth TWO Norse flugeltubes ! " Indeed.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Original prices of classics

I paid $450. for my MK VI alto in 1966.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

18 years ago

Interresting thread. Jim, I'd be interested in old Conn prices if you have any info... I paid $730 for a Mk. VI alto w/ high f# in 1972. Sold it for $3900 last year. Inflated, maybe, but it was a sweet horn!

Reply To Post

1. by saxs_make_it_happen
        (42 posts)

18 years ago

wow lol that is awesome.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by JZ
          (83 posts)

18 years ago

Results

Using an inflation calculator found on the web [??]: 1972 MkIV @ $ 730==> $ 3520 today 1966 MkIV @ $ 450==> $ 2793 today So actually, it seems that prices aren't too out of line today, if you simply adjust for inflation. And these were new horns back then. 1965 Conn @ $ 320==> $ 1850 today (my first horn) [My parents spent $1850 on a third grader??] Sorry about the delayed followup.

Reply To Post