Saxophone Forum

by MarkLavelle
(300 posts)
18 years ago

Buffet Crampon Altos?

Anyone know anything about Buffet Crampon Altos? Where they're actually made? General quality observations? I don't have any details at all (yet), but someone is selling one for $150, and from the 2 photos it looks to be in very good shape. The seller describes it as 'student' and having 'been in storage for some time' (don't they all?)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Buffet Crampon Altos?

It depends. The modern 'Evette' Buffets, I believe, are manufactured in China or Taiwan and are marketed towards students. The old Buffet SA 18-20, Dynaction, Superdynactions were built in France and are professional instruments. I believe the modern S1, S2, S3s were manufactured by a combo of Buffet or Keilwerth.

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
      (300 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks. Turned out that it was an 'Evette' student model, only 1-2 yrs. old. $150 was temptingly cheap, but I figue I can snag a not-too-badly used YAS-23 for $300-400 if I just bide my time...

Reply To Post

1. by selmer 4evr
        (309 posts)

18 years ago

Good choice even the evettes made in france mid 80s were not that good tuning off and the yams 23 were actually better,,,,, even though the buffets were darker in tone and more workable.

Reply To Post