Saxophone Forum

by Tubby_Man
(48 posts)
18 years ago

Sax Colour

There are different colour finishes for saxaphones out there, gold, silver, frosted silver, diamond cut, black and combinations of the mentioned. Usually I dont like the colour gold and prefere silver, but where saxaphones are concerned I think a gold finish cannot be beaten, silver just does't look right! What does everyone else think about colours on saxes? Has anyone seen any I havent metioned?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxophonik
    (73 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Sax Colour

Check out LA Sax's website.... now THERE'S some finish options :)

Reply To Post

1. by Tubby_Man
      (48 posts)

18 years ago

Whats the adress to LA sax's web-site?

Reply To Post

2. by Sax_Shark
    (134 posts)

18 years ago

Sometimes the color of the sax is for a tone reason. For example, I am buying a black nickel soprano so that I can have a darker sounding tone. It may not be enough to change anything (haven't played on it yet) but it will be awesome looking enough. Anyway, in my opinion, I do like the classic gold but that nickel just spoke to me! I only like the silver with a matte finish and laquered keys. So yeah, I'm done now...

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The color of the lacquer makes little difference in the tone. Lacquer is lacquer. Plating, however, does make a difference although not a significant difference. Silver is said to have a sound that is warmer and bright, while gold plated horns are the brightest. Nickel horns are said to have a darker tone and lacquered horns are said to be even darker with less resonance. I really see very little difference. There is more difference between horns with rolled tone holes vs. straight drawn holes, the types of pad, mouthpiece, ligature, etc. Some saxes are better suited to different types of music.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

18 years ago

You notice differences in tone with different pads? In what way? What differences do you especially notice betwenn rolled and straight tone holes? I'm thinking about buying a 6M with rolled tone holes for kind of a small venue gigging horn.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

I like silver and gold plate, and gold lacquered finishes. I'm not so fond of clear lacquer, bare brass, or funny colours. Black anodized I could go either way on. Just my taste.

Reply To Post

2. by Seano
          (132 posts)

18 years ago

My Guardalas black nickel with silver keys and gold engravings... now THATS hot. (IMO) Sean

Reply To Post

3. by jbroad572
          (46 posts)

18 years ago

Reply To Post