Saxophone Forum

by Saxman_51
(18 posts)
18 years ago

I need help badly!!!

I bought a soprano saxophone and i am having trouble getting it to play in tune. I recently found out that soprano's have a reputation for not playing in tune but i dont know how to play it in tune. Somebody please help me or give me some advice A.S.A.P.??? Please!!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

18 years ago

Re: I need help badly!!!

So they do! What's your setup? What brand horn, what model, what mouthpiece, what reed? Give us a starting point and maybe we can get you pointed in the right direction! Bear in mind, it's not an easy thing, keeping the beastie in check, but it can be done!

Reply To Post

2. by Saxman_51
    (18 posts)

18 years ago

I have a Barrington Soprano sax, with a Selmer C* mouthpiece, and i'm using LaVoz medium reeds. Its playing but the tone of the note raises up a half step when I press the octave key. Thats my main problem.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax_Shark
      (134 posts)

18 years ago

See if you can get it checked out by a repairman. Have you played soprano before? It takes a while for you to adjust. Where did you get the horn? I've heard of mixed reviews on those saxes. I was accually thinking of buying one. :) Maybe not.... Hope all goes well

Reply To Post

1. by Saxman_51
        (18 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you for your help. This is my first time playing soprano, so I dont think its the horn. Its probably just me. Besides I bought it from my sax teacher and if he played on it well then it definately can't be the horn. So I'll continue to practice on it. But over all thank you for all your help and advice.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Hey, Saxman, it's all in the lip, more obviously on soprano than on any other saxophone. It will take practice and a good ear. You'll learn to drop your jax somewhat on the upper octave so that it doesn't go sharp. It's difficult to make yourself open your jaw when you're playing higher because it's natural to want to tense up. Just keep practicing. You'll get so used to what you have to do that it will (in time) come naturally and you won't have to think about it any more. Good luck!

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

That was supposed to be "drop your jaw"!

Reply To Post

2. by Bollen
        (39 posts)

18 years ago

With sopranos is usually an issue of the length of the tube. The best possible way to find the center of the horn is by blowing your lowest C and your highest (2 octaves above), fool around with the mouthpiece in the neck, pull it out and push it in, until you find the position in which you require the less mouth movement, once your octaves are in tune the rest of the horn should play fairly well

Reply To Post